- Lindy “Boss Hog” Delbridge — 55, died Wednesday, June 9, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at East St. Peters M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 6 this evening at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Vivian “Bib” English — 87, of Gulf Breeze, Fla., died Friday, June 4, 2010. Private services will be held in both the Gulf Breeze/Pensacola Beach and Bonita Springs, Fla., areas. Trahan Family Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Bo Nash’s three RBIs and two hits helped pace an offensive attack that led to a 14-3 win for the 10-year-old First National Bank Braves over the Freeland Shull Attorney’s at Law Red Sox Thursday night at FNC Park.
In other Oxford Park Commission youth baseball action Thursday, the Hunters Hollow Brewers beat the Chandler Nissan Cardinals 11-4 in the 11-12 league, while the Gilliland Orthodontics Yankees edged the Bank of Oxford Dodgers 7-5. In the 13-14 league, the Twins beat the Royals by forfeit, while Davis Logistics of Oxford Braves doubled up the Sharp Insurance Royals 8-4.
In the lone girls softball game, the Dolphins defeated Shiloh Creek Land & Timber 18-7. (June 11, 2010, Page 7A)
- Lindy Delbridge — 55, died Wednesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel takes a closer look at asthma, giving readers information about its main characteristics, an experiment to show how asthma feels and methods of treatment. (June 10, 2010, Page 12)
Local columnist T.J. Ray writes about the fairness in a legal system that gives concurrent sentences for multiple crimes committed by an individual. Is one of the crimes unpunished? (June 10, 2010, Page 4)
The Lafayette County TRIAD will meet at 10 a.m. Wednesday at the Oxford Activity Center located at 400 Price St. All interested persons are welcome to attend. For more information, call the RSVP office at 232-2377. (June 10, 2010)
The members of the Kountry Krafters Homemakers Volunteer Club will meet at noon Monday, June 21, at the Lafayette County Extension Office on Highway 7 South. It’s very important that all members attend because the club plans to decide several issues and projects and everyone’s input is valuable. Guests are welcome. (June 10, 2010)
Lafayette County Democratic Party will meet at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Lafayette County Chancery Building on North Lamar Boulevard, just off The Square in Oxford. Feel free to attend and bring your friends and family. For more information, visit www.lafayettedems.org. (June 9, 2010)
- Chalmers “Charlie” Larry Poe Sr. — 71, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Central Academy Church of Christ in Batesville. Burial will follow in the Portland Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Portland, Ore. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Marie Theresa Lacy Hendershot — 89, died Monday, June 7, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at St. Joseph Cathedral in Baton Rouge, with the Rev. Paul Counce officiating. Burial will follow at 9 a.m. Saturday at Greenwood Cemetery in Reston, La. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Rabenhorst Funeral Home in Baton Rouge, and one hour prior to the service Friday at the church.
Great nights at the plate by Shelby Washington and Jess Edge proved to be the difference for the 9-year-old Rayner Eye Clinic Phillies in an 11-8 win over the Larson’s Big Star Red Sox Tuesday night at FNC Park.
In the other 9-year-old game, the Bert’s Plumbing Reds nipped the Smith Building Supply Twins 12-11 thanks to a game-winning single from Easton Robbins. In two 10-year-old games, the Rock Star Taxi Yankees defeated the Freeland Shull Attorney’s at Law Red Sox 7-5, while the First National Bank Braves downed the Morgan White Insurance Rays 10-3.
In the 11-12 league, the Orioles beat the McKeeson Royals 2-1, while the Chandler Nissan Cardinals beat the Bank of Oxford 12-7. (June 9, 2010, Page 6)