Editor Don Whitten looks back over years of contact with former Lafayette High School, University of Memphis and NBA standout Lorenzen Wright after learning Wednesday that Wright’s body had been found outside Memphis. (July 29, 2010, Page 4)
SPORTS EDITOR BLOG — The mysterious disappearance of former Lafayette High basketball standout Lorenzen Wright has unfortunately been solved by Memphis area police officers. (more…) (July 28, 2010)
SPORTS EDITOR BLOG — Former Lafayette High School baseball standout Justin Woodall said this morning he was excited about his future with the Tampa Bay Rays organization. Woodall was picked by the Rays in the 26th round of Major League Baseball draft on Tuesday despite not pitching for four seasons while at Alabama.
(more…) (June 9, 2010)
- Lafayette High School concert, women and madrigal choirs have been invited to the Festival at Carnegie Hall in New York.
- Dongsik Kim will join the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science Class of 2012.
- Wesley Warren Estock and Joshua McCormick were listed on the president’s list at Mississippi College. Elizabeth McCormick was named to the dean’s list.
- Mary Manning Booker graduated with her Associate in Science in Nursing from Excelsior College.
- McKenna Raney received scholarships to attend Hendrix College.
- Felicity Flesher and Jillian Mattern win National Merit scholarships.
- Several locals graduated from Itawamba Community College.
- Sarah Kathryn Gates graduates from Louisiana State University with honors.
- Head Start hosts a multi-cultural week.
- A copy of the federal programs application for both Lafayette and Oxford are available for review in the district offices.
- GED Testing is now being offered by Northwest Mississippi Community College.
SPORTS EDITOR BLOG — Former Lafayette High head football coach Jimmy Arrington has died at the age of 68. Arrington passed away Friday morning at approximately 11 at Baptist Memorial Hospital North Mississippi here in Oxford. (more…) (May 28, 2010)
Abbeville postmaster Brenda Lewis writes to thank all of those who helped the community in the aftermath of the May 2 tornado, calling them a silver lining in the tragedy. Lafayette High student council president Jeremy Williams and student council advisors Gail Caldwell and Daisy Bullard wrote to thank of the the merchants and friends who helped with Teacher Appreciation Day at the school. (May 25, 2010, Page 4)
Lafayette, Oxford and Water Valley high schools will graduate their Classes of 2010 this week. In honor of the special accomplishments of each school’s graduates, The EAGLE’s annual graduation section shares the awards and scholarships of each class.
After a total of 66 years teaching – 34 for Kevin Cole and 32 for Beverly Cole, the couple is set to retire this month from the Lafayette School District. The two band directors have been at the school for seven years. (May 20, 2010, Page 1, 5)