SPORTS BLOG: The Lafayette Commodores opened region play with a convincing 42-0 win over the Lewisburg Patriots Friday night at William L. Buford Stadium.
(more…) (September 30, 2011)
SPORTS BLOG: SHANNON — The Lafayette Commodores showed why they are the top team in Mississippi once again Friday night with a 56-14 win over Shannon.
LHS QB Jeremy Liggins showed why he is one of the top college recruits in the state as well, this time though, it was with one of the nation’s top college coaches in LSU’s Les Miles roaming the sidelines. (more…) (September 16, 2011)
Rodney Flower will retire as principal of Lafayette High School at the end of June. Applications are now being accepted for the position. (May 27, 2011, Page 2a)
Lafayette and Oxford High Schools held their graduation ceremonies last weekend with both having student speakers that noted a serious theme: the fragile nature of life and the importance of making the most of the brief time they have. (May 23, 2011, Page 1,)
The Mississippi High School Activities Association divides up member schools for interscholastic competition according to enrollment and the MHSAA has released the news classes for 2011-13 on its website. Editor Don Whitten takes a look at some of the numbers and how they relate to athletics and competition among the schools. (December 1, 2010, Page 4)
Two Lafayette High School theater students earned first-place honors in two categories at the recent Tennessee Williams Festival in Clarksdale. Rachel Whitehorn and Kana Carpenter took home the awards. (November 2, 2010, Page 6)
Sherry Wall writes to commend students at Lafayette High School for their actions in electing Amber Lawrence as their 2010 Homecoming queen, and to tell parents of LHS students they should be proud of their children. (October 7, 2010, Page 4)
The man charged with breaking into several homes and stealing women’s lingerie has been denied bond.
Joseph Paul Lillo, of the Law Hills community in Marshall County, was arrested Sunday and charged with 11 counts of burglary for allegedly breaking into homes in the LOU area since June.
Editor Don Whitten looks back over years of contact with former Lafayette High School, University of Memphis and NBA standout Lorenzen Wright after learning Wednesday that Wright’s body had been found outside Memphis. (July 29, 2010, Page 4)
- Lafayette High School concert, women and madrigal choirs have been invited to the Festival at Carnegie Hall in New York.
- Dongsik Kim will join the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science Class of 2012.
- Wesley Warren Estock and Joshua McCormick were listed on the president’s list at Mississippi College. Elizabeth McCormick was named to the dean’s list.
- Mary Manning Booker graduated with her Associate in Science in Nursing from Excelsior College.
- McKenna Raney received scholarships to attend Hendrix College.
- Felicity Flesher and Jillian Mattern win National Merit scholarships.
- Several locals graduated from Itawamba Community College.
- Sarah Kathryn Gates graduates from Louisiana State University with honors.
- Head Start hosts a multi-cultural week.
- A copy of the federal programs application for both Lafayette and Oxford are available for review in the district offices.
- GED Testing is now being offered by Northwest Mississippi Community College.