A lit cigarette is the likely cause of a house fire that claimed the life of Oxford resident William Earl Williams on Monday afternoon. (February 18, 2015, Page 2A)
The Northwest Chapter of the American Red Cross in Oxford reviewed the past fiscal year during its year-end luncheon Wednesday at the Oxford & Lafayette Chamber of Commerce. (October 31, 2013, Page 1)
Severe weather, tornadoes and an increase in house fires can be possible during the fall and winter months in Lafayette County. (October 25, 2011, Page 1)
Just the smell of smoke from a structure fire is enough to give Staff Writer Alyssa Schnugg flashbacks to the night years ago when her house caught fire. She and her family got out safely, and it was the Red Cross volunteer who showed up to help them through the first hours and days of the tragedy that she remembers as she urges everyone to support, and get involved with, their local Red Cross unit. (March 4, 2011, Page 4A)
With 8 inches of snow in Lafayette County, many children, and even adults, spent their day Monday playing in the snow, followed by getting warm by a fireplace or space heater.
Fortunately, their memories will remain good ones.
A National Fire Protection Association report shows 73 percent of home heating fire deaths can be attributed to space heaters and other alternate heating sources. (January 11, 2011, Page 1)
Children’s brains are like sponges and they pick up on so much going on around them, things both good and bad. Staff Writer Alyssa Schnugg found out just how much her 4-year-old knew about 911 and taking care of herself years ago, and she’s seen more examples lately with youngsters alerting adults about house fires at neighbors. (August 12, 2010, Page 4A)