Local restaurant owner John M. Currence writes, in a guest column, that there are two distinct sides appearing unable to give much ground in the debate over allowing the sale of alcohol in Oxford on Sundays, and he suggests that the best way to reach a compromise might be for both sides to take a look at other communities that allow Sunday sales. (June 2, 2010, Page 4)
A CONVERSATION WITH — Kainen Gilley graduates tonight at the C.M. “Tad” Smith Coliseum as part of the Water Valley High School Class of 2010. He transferred to WVHS as a seventh-grader from the Mississippi School for the Blind in Jackson, and has since developed a deep affection for Water Valley schools, and for the teachers, administrators and fellow students who have supported him. He will next spend several months at an independent living facility in Tupelo.
Work to replace three bridges in Lafayette County is about 50 percent complete, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation. The bridges, all located on Highway 331 in the Tula area, are being replaced by Talbot Brothers Construction and Grading of Nesbit. (April 7, 2010, Page 2)
Haley Vance won her second straight start to help lift the Water Valley Lady Blue Devils to a 4-1 win over district foe Independence Monday at the Crawford Sports Complex. (March 9, 2010, Page 9)
WVHS BASEBALL — The Charleston Tigers were no match for Water Valley on Tuesday. The Blue Devils battled a chilly night to sweep Charleston in a home doubleheader 16-1, 17-0. (March 3, 2010, Page 9)
Funding problems are only going to get worse for Mississippi educators with the governor announcing more budget cuts. Administrators want to make the cuts without affecting the education process, and they say they need a bit more assistance from lawmakers and education officals at the state level. (February 5, 2010, Page 4A)
- Rodney N. Forsythe — Services are 10 a.m. Wednesday at Zion Lutheran Church in Bethalto, Ill. Elias, Kallal and Schaaf Funeral Home of Bethalto is in charge of arrangements.
- Lanny H. Kyle Sr. — Services were held this morning at Meredith-Nowell Funeral Home in Clarksdale.
- Myrtle Lawrence — Services are 11 a.m. Saturday at Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Charles Nash Nichols — A graveside service will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Thomas M. O’Donnell — Services are at 2 p.m. today in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel.
- Zona Belle Dover Waldrip — Services are 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel.
(February 2, 2010, Page 2)
- Clarice M. Winter Edwards — Services were held Saturday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Gladys Mills — Services were held Sunday at Baldwin-Nowell Funeral Home in Pontotoc.
- Zona Bell Waldrip — Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
(February 1, 2010, Page 2A)
- Aamitta S. “Teekie” Gaines — Services will be held at noon Friday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Cooley’s Mortuary of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Gregory LaMont Gillom — Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at North Oxford Baptist Church. Cooley’s Mortuary of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Annette “Mickey” Holland — Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Visitation will be Friday from 5 to 6 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Shirley Babb McPhail — Services will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation will be Friday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Mildred “Mu” Miller — Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Visitation will be Friday from 6 to 7 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Isabella Jean Stanfield — Newborn daughter of Crystal Gilmer Stanfield and Bernard George Stanfield Jr. of Water Valley. Burial will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in Delay Road Baptist Church Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
(January 21, 2010, Page 2)