Dustin Milewski is one of several students who have taken their canvases in tow around Lafayette County to paint their interpretation of local landscapes. They’re part of the plein air art class taught by University of Mississippi art teacher Philip Jackson. (May 21, 2010, Page 1B)
Taylor’s Farmers’ Market will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday from Many through October. Local food, produce, art and music will be featured in the Plein Air neighborhood in Taylor. Operators are planning a grand opening and Plein Air Montessori Kidsfest on June 5 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (May 21, 2010)
The city sales tax collections continue their positive growth which means Oxford could find itself on solid financial ground for the first time since the economic slowdown began in 2008.
For the third month in a row, sales tax collections in Oxford climbed. This month’s report saw a big increase. (April 29, 2010, Page 3)
Oxford Endurance Weekend, scheduled for Aug. 13-15, will feature the Faulkner 5K, the Tri-Oxford triathlon, a 20K Race of Truth time-trial bike race, a criterium around the Square and a road race in Taylor. (April 7, 2010, Page 1)
Since Thursday, Lafayette County Volunteer Fire Chief Larry McKinney has lost count on the exact numbers of brush, wood and tree fires in the county.
“It was around 10 to 15 fires we responded to through Sunday,” McKinney said. They’ve been common lately thanks to dry leaves and dead grass as people burn off brush piles. (March 9, 2010, Page 1)
A SENSE OF PLACE — Jack Mayfield takes us back to the founding of Taylor in southern Lafayette County, tracing its growth into a bustling town which boasted shops and grocers and salons, and its decline into the quiet little village we know today. (February 19, 2010, Page 3B)
- Jessie Louise Brown — Services are Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Visitation is 6-7 this evening at Mt. Hope Missionary Baptist Church in Taylor. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of arrangements.
- Arthur Lee Fondren Sr. — Services are 2 p.m. Saturday at Mt. Gillion Missionary Baptist Church in Sardis. Visitation is today from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Cooley’s Mortuary in Batesville.
- William Henry Helm Jr. — Services are noon Saturday at Jackson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Bruce. Belle Memorial Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Rachel Barr McGee — Services are 11 a.m. Monday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of arrangements.
- Minnie Vaughn — Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home of Oxford.
(January 8, 2010, Page 2A)