Second Baptist Church is looking for male chefs for its third annual “Men Who Cook” contest. The event will be held from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 13 in the Tankersley Fellowship Hall, located at 611 Jackson Ave.
Pastors and any men in the community are asked to show off their culinary skills by serving their favorite dish to the public. Each contestant invites his friends to come out and taste the dishes which will be judged by certified chefs for a grand prize.
Admission for tasting is a minimum $5 donation for adults and $3 for children. Tickets will be available through the contestants or by calling 234-3335 after 5 p.m.
Those interested in signing up can contact Lola Pearson at email@example.com. Entries need to include a name, address, phone number and the name of the dish the contestant expects to prepare. (February 24, 2010)
- Aamitta S. “Teekie” Gaines — Services will be held at noon Friday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Cooley’s Mortuary of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Gregory LaMont Gillom — Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at North Oxford Baptist Church. Cooley’s Mortuary of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Annette “Mickey” Holland — Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Visitation will be Friday from 5 to 6 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Shirley Babb McPhail — Services will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation will be Friday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Mildred “Mu” Miller — Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Visitation will be Friday from 6 to 7 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Isabella Jean Stanfield — Newborn daughter of Crystal Gilmer Stanfield and Bernard George Stanfield Jr. of Water Valley. Burial will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in Delay Road Baptist Church Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
(January 21, 2010, Page 2)
- Ray Woodson Addison — Services are 3 p.m. Thursday at Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation is 4-7 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
- Willie Frank Bowie — Services are 11 a.m. Wednesday at Second Missionary Baptist Church. Visitation is 6-7 tonight at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Mary L. Spencer — Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
(January 19, 2010, Page 2)
PHOTO SLIDESHOW — More than 300 people gathered Monday night for the 15th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day vigil, hosted by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity at Second M.B. Church. Pastor Andrew Robinson called upon people of different ethnicities to treat each other as brothers and sisters. Those honored with the annual “Keeping the Dream Alive” awards were Camille Garrett-King, David Garrett and Marlon Bell. (January 19, 2010, Page 1)