- Oxford High School theater department will stage “Almost, Maine” as the annual Kayla Sue Mize fundraiser this Friday-Sunday.
- Walking Wednesdays continue
- Green innovation forum set for Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Overby Center
- Lafayette High School class of 1970 will host its 40th class reunion on Memorial Day Weekend
- Robyn Thweatt of Oxford was named to the Northwest Mississippi Community College cheer squad
- The Summer Coin program is taking applications for students aged 14-21 for their summer work program.
- Oxford High School band recently returned from a four-day trip to Washington, D.C.
The last Oxford School District Band Boosters meeting of the school year will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Band Hall at Oxford High School. The executive board meets beforehand at 6. (April 26, 2010)
With Tax Day almost behind us, Editor Don Whitten says it’s time to start turning our attention to less stressful and more enjoyable times. He suggests events coming up locally the next three weeks – Red-Blue Spring Game at Ole Miss, Double Decker Arts Festival, Relay for Life – and other ideas of what to get involved with. (April 15, 2010, Page 4)
Editor Don Whitten notes how much cancer affects nearly everyone by pointing to his personal dealings with the disease, and then he urges people to get involved with helping their personal causes and concerns as he did last weekend by taking part in a fundraising car wash at Bramlett Elementary School. (April 14, 2010, Page 4A)
Oxford High School released its third nine weeks honor roll. Students with all A’s are on the principal’s list. Students with A’s and B’s are on the honor roll. (April 13, 2010, Page 7A-8A)
The Oxford High School Theatre Department will stage “Rumors,” a comedy written by Neil Simon, at 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday, April 15 – 17, in the Kayla Mize Auditorium at OHS. General admission tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. Tickets may be purchased in advance or at the door. (April 9, 2010)
In this week’s Education briefs:
- Lafayette Upper Elementary School honor roll
- Tonya W. Camp graduates Excelsior College
- The Oxford Middle School Choirs traveled to Mississippi College on Thursday for State Choral Festival adjudication.
- Oxford High School student Tri-Thien Che was among 16 outstanding Mississippi high school seniors were honored at a luncheon last week at the Capital Club in Jackson for their academic success and their involvement in their schools and community.
- English instructor Morgan Cutturini of Oxford participated in the Itawamba Community College’s 23rd annual Higher Education Appreciation Day Working for Academic Excellence held recently.
- Adrian Young was named the Mary Cathey Head Start Center employee of the month.
- Eight Lafayette FFA students competed March 12 at the North District FFA Competition held at the Oxford/Lafayette Applied Technology Center.
- Bradley Shields of Oxford is spending the spring semester in Florence, Italy.
- Ole Miss is offering a reading camp to fourth- through sixth-graders in June.
- Monday will be Mississippi Clarinet Day at the University of Mississippi.
- Anne Hemphill named teacher of the year in Batesville.
- Casey Kidd of Pontotoc named to Berklee College dean’s list
- State testing set at Oxford High School
- Lafayette Middle School students earn top honors
- OHS Class of 1990 plans reunion
- Students compete for Oxford Middle School Idol
BRIEFS — Allyson Conley assists at the State Capitol; Oxford Middle and Oxford High schools have been recognized at the recent statewide conference of the Program of Research and Evaluation of Public Schools (PREPS) for being named as Value Added Schools; Carolyn Carter, teacher at Lafayette Upper Elementary School, was awarded Math Model Classroom by the Renaissance Learning company; OHS English teachers tap student leaders to motivate their peers to become Shining Stars on the upcoming English Writing Assessment; Plans are being made for “Bringing It Back Home,” the OHS Class of 1990 20th reunion; Northwest Mississippi Community College is now offering GED classes at the Oxford WIN Job Center. (March 16, 2010, Page 1B)
PHOTOS — Oxford High School sophomores took part in a Community Help Day at The Pantry last week. (March 2, 2010, Page 3)