The University of Mississippi Choral Department presents its Fall Concert featuring composer and pianist Ola Gjeilo at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28 at North Oxford Baptist Church. The Concert Singers, Women’s Glee and Men’s Glee will present two world premiere commissioned works accompanied by the composer, as well as selections of Gjeilo’s a cappella music. The concert is free.
The music of Manhattan-based Norwegian composer and pianist Gjeilo has been performed and recorded in more than 30 countries worldwide in venues such as New York’s Carnegie Hall, Avery Fisher Hall and Alice Tully Hall, Los Angeles’ Disney Hall, Philadelphia’s Kimmel Center, The Arsht Center in Miami, Washington DC’s Kennedy Center and National Gallery, as well as the Copenhagen and Oslo Opera Houses. His music has been featured on PBS and radio stations across the US. (October 15, 2010)
The Oxford Civic Chorus will present its fall concert, “Music of the People: Folk Songs of the World,” at 3 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 14, at North Oxford Baptist Church. The Oxford Civic Chorus is an excellent group of musicians from a variety of backgrounds and occupations, hailing from Oxford and the entire north Mississippi area. Membership is by audition only. The chorus is directed by Brooke Bagley-Worthy and accompanied by Andrew Gordon. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children and students. (October 5, 2010)
An all-you-can-eat barbecue dinner fundraiser for the Childress family will begin at 5:30 p.m. Saturday at the North Oxford Baptist Church Family Life Center. Tickets are $10 to eat-in or take out. A silent auction and regular auction will be held and door prizes will be given away. Family entertainment will be provided by The Big E and the Hound Dogs, Ginny Starr and Kevin O’Conner, Jerry Locke, NOBC Gospel Quartet, Kirby Lander & Belinda Jones, and David Blackmarr and his Harmonica. Proceeds will benefit Billy Ray Childress and his family. Childress was diagnosed with cancer earlier this summer. Donations can be made at any Regions Bank, c/o “Friends of Billy Ray.” For more information, call Scott Davis at either 662-607-3313 or 234-2588, or Pala Reeves at either 801-4535 or 234-8991. (August 22, 2010)
Cub Scout Pack 146 hosts its fall registration night from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday at North Oxford Baptist Church. Boys in grades 1-5 are invited to come sign up to experience the adventure of Scouting, a program that builds character and instills values. The fall schedule includes camping, swimming, a service project and lots of fun! Returning Scouts who bring a friend to sign up get a cool recruiter patch. For more information, call Jeff Edge at 816-9988. (August 13, 2010)
The Oxford Civic Chorus will present its spring concert, “How Can I Keep from Singing,” Sunday, May 2, at 3 p.m. at North Oxford Baptist Church. Tickets are $5 for students and $10 for adults and may be purchased at the door or by an Oxford Civic Chorus member. For more information, contact director Brooke Bagley Worthy at email@example.com. (March 16, 2010)
- Robert Lee Burton — Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at North Oxford Baptist Church. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home.
- Joseph Sidney Garner — A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Trinity Presbyterian Church in Covington, Ga.
- Frank L. Leggett — Arrangements incomplete with United Funeral Service of New Albany.
- James Carlton “Skip” Smith Sr.— Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in Fowler Hall at the St. James Episcopal Church in Jackson. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Friday and from 12:30 p.m. until service time, all at the church. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements.
(February 23, 2010, Page 2)
- Aamitta S. “Teekie” Gaines — Services will be held at noon Friday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Cooley’s Mortuary of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Gregory LaMont Gillom — Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at North Oxford Baptist Church. Cooley’s Mortuary of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Annette “Mickey” Holland — Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Second Missionary Baptist Church in Oxford. Visitation will be Friday from 5 to 6 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Shirley Babb McPhail — Services will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Visitation will be Friday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Mildred “Mu” Miller — Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Visitation will be Friday from 6 to 7 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Isabella Jean Stanfield — Newborn daughter of Crystal Gilmer Stanfield and Bernard George Stanfield Jr. of Water Valley. Burial will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in Delay Road Baptist Church Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
(January 21, 2010, Page 2)