A short but powerful storm ripped through Oxford Thursday, causing trees to fall on power lines and blocking some roads and causing some minor damage at Lafayette High School’s athletic fields. (May 31, 2013, Page 1A)
Sean Carter, a traumatic brain injury survivor, is bringing his inspirational message on the dangers of drinking and driving to the local high schools. Carter will speak to the junior and senior classes of Oxford High School on Thursday from 10 to 11 a.m., and to the junior and senior classes of Lafayette High School on Friday from 10 to 11 a.m. (March 2, 2011, Page 3)
Sherry Wall writes to commend students at Lafayette High School for their actions in electing Amber Lawrence as their 2010 Homecoming queen, and to tell parents of LHS students they should be proud of their children. (October 7, 2010, Page 4)
Editor Don Whitten looks back over years of contact with former Lafayette High School, University of Memphis and NBA standout Lorenzen Wright after learning Wednesday that Wright’s body had been found outside Memphis. (July 29, 2010, Page 4)
The Lafayette High School Band Boosters will meet in the band hall at 6 p.m. Aug. 3. Members will have the opportunity to meet the new band director, Phillip Martin, and discuss the upcoming band year. (July 22, 2010)
The Mississippi Homemakers Volunteers of Lafayette County is hosting it’s Annual Public Officials Luncheon at noon Monday at Lafayette High School. All elected officials in Oxford and Lafayette County are invited to attend. For more Information, call the office at 234-4451. (June 1, 2010)
SPORTS EDITOR BLOG — Saturday’s Class 4A playoff doubleheader between the Lafayette Lady Commodores and the Kosciusko Lady Whippets has been postponed until Monday due to the heavy rain and threat of tornados that have hit the North Mississippi area. (more…) (May 1, 2010)
- Oxford High School theater department will stage “Almost, Maine” as the annual Kayla Sue Mize fundraiser this Friday-Sunday.
- Walking Wednesdays continue
- Green innovation forum set for Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Overby Center
- Lafayette High School class of 1970 will host its 40th class reunion on Memorial Day Weekend
- Robyn Thweatt of Oxford was named to the Northwest Mississippi Community College cheer squad
- The Summer Coin program is taking applications for students aged 14-21 for their summer work program.
- Oxford High School band recently returned from a four-day trip to Washington, D.C.
The Lafayette Agriculture Education/FFA plant sale will be held from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Lafayette High School Agriculture Department greenhouse. After Saturday, the greenhouse will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. (April 5, 2010)
A CONVERSATION WITH – Willie Dennis has been taking care of Oxford Memorial Cemetery for 20 years. The job includes keeping the cemetery mowed, groomed and litter-free — and giving grieving families plenty of space and peace while the day’s work goes on. (April 1, 2010, Page 3)