In this week’s Education briefs:
- Lafayette Upper Elementary School honor roll
- Tonya W. Camp graduates Excelsior College
- The Oxford Middle School Choirs traveled to Mississippi College on Thursday for State Choral Festival adjudication.
- Oxford High School student Tri-Thien Che was among 16 outstanding Mississippi high school seniors were honored at a luncheon last week at the Capital Club in Jackson for their academic success and their involvement in their schools and community.
- English instructor Morgan Cutturini of Oxford participated in the Itawamba Community College’s 23rd annual Higher Education Appreciation Day Working for Academic Excellence held recently.
- Adrian Young was named the Mary Cathey Head Start Center employee of the month.
- Eight Lafayette FFA students competed March 12 at the North District FFA Competition held at the Oxford/Lafayette Applied Technology Center.
- Bradley Shields of Oxford is spending the spring semester in Florence, Italy.
- Ole Miss is offering a reading camp to fourth- through sixth-graders in June.
- Monday will be Mississippi Clarinet Day at the University of Mississippi.
Ole Miss football player Bennie F. Abram III, 20, died Friday afternoon following a 5:30 a.m. workout session at the Indoor Practice Facility on the Oxford campus. Abram, a 2007 graduate of DeSoto Central and a walk-on transfer from Itawamba Community College, collapsed during the first workout of the spring. Head Coach Houston Nutt called the junior safety “part of our family.” (February 22, 2010, Page 1)