Mary Alice Busby said good bye to friends and fellow coworkers Friday night during her retirement party. Busby has served as Lafayette County circuit court clerk for more than 24 years. (December 12, 2011, Page 1)
The annual Sav-A-Life Banquet will be held at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 13, at the First Baptist Church of Oxford. The tickets are $15 each and can be purchased at the Pregnancy Test Center (on the left just before North Oxford Baptist Church) or at the door. Those who want to support Sav-A-Life, but can’t go to the banquet, can mail a check to P. O. Box 1193, Oxford 38655. (August 20, 2010)
The Oxford Middle School choirs, Sixth-Grade Singers, Cantabilé and Mixed Chorus, will present “A Spring Night of Choral Singing” at 7 p.m. May 4 at the First Baptist Church. Damein Wash is the director and Joseph Garrison is the accompanist.
The program will featuring choral works by George Frideric Handel, Johannes Brahms and Benjamin Britten; and show tunes by George Gershwin, Rogers and Hammerstein, and Harold Arlen. Guest instrumentalists and accompanists include Carol Trott’s World Drumming Ensemble, Dr. Andy Paney, pianist, Jack B.Wilson Jr., cellist, and Liz Taylor, violinist. (April 22, 2010)
What began as a creative way to raise money for the restoration of the Burns Belfry has spun off an exercise in community building as an ad-hoc choir representing several local churches has been rehearsing for its part in The Worship Experience event set for Friday at the Ford Center. (April 19, 2010, Page 1A)
- Maureen Regina Halloran — A rosary service will be held Friday at 4 p.m. in the chapel at Waller Funeral Home. Visitation will precede the service from 2-4 p.m.
- Mary Etta Martin — Services will be held at noon Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Visitation is Friday from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Juanita Avent McCormick — Services are scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday at First Baptist Church of Oxford. Visitation will be held for one hour prior. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Minnie Vaughn — Services are 2 p.m. Saturday at Philadelphia M.B. Church. Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
(January 14, 2010, Page 2)
- Dennis Ray “DeDe” Fitts — Services are 11 a.m. Thursday at First Baptist Church. Visitation is 4-7 p.m. Wednesday at Coleman Funeral Home, and for an hour and a half prior to the service.
(January 12, 2010, Page 2A)