Need a book about local history, politics, sociology or journalism? Editor Don Whitten writes that longtime journalist and now journalism professor Curtis Wilkie’s new book, “Assassins, Eccentrics, Politicians, and Other Persons of Interest: Fifty Pieces from the Road,” fits the bill perfectly. (September 8, 2014, Page 4)
What brings visitors to the Lafayette-Oxford-University community? Editor Don Whitten writes about a pair of out-of-towners who dropped by The Oxford EAGLE office Tuesday; their reason – traveling around learning more about the blues. (June 11, 2014, Page 4)
There’s a “dirty” word going around the state when it comes to education issues – “consolidation.” Editor Don Whitten takes a look at how the state Legislature is dealing with consolidation as well as different considerations for different school districts. (February 19, 2014, Page 4)
Staff Writer Melanie Addington points out some of the good and bad about present-day Mississippi and notes that, while the state draws a lot of negative attention, there are many more good things that are part of her Mississippi. (March 7, 2013, Page 4)
Local physician and Army veteran Will Dabbs pens a guest column telling about a recent and valuable friendship with World War II veteran John Ratliff, who recently passed away. Dabbs points out how much Ratliff and other veterans of his time gave for us to have our freedoms today. (March 31, 2010, Page 4)
Think the “blues” can only be experienced through songs and music? Think again – and read Editor Don Whitten’s review of “Delta Blues,” an anthology of blues stories set in and around the Mississippi Delta. Whitten mentions stories by the likes of John Grisham, James Lee Burke, Ace Atkins, Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly, and Alice Jackson. (March 26, 2010, Page 4A)
- Rodney N. Forsythe — Services are 10 a.m. Wednesday at Zion Lutheran Church in Bethalto, Ill. Elias, Kallal and Schaaf Funeral Home of Bethalto is in charge of arrangements.
- Lanny H. Kyle Sr. — Services were held this morning at Meredith-Nowell Funeral Home in Clarksdale.
- Myrtle Lawrence — Services are 11 a.m. Saturday at Pine Grove Missionary Baptist Church. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Charles Nash Nichols — A graveside service will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Thomas M. O’Donnell — Services are at 2 p.m. today in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel.
- Zona Belle Dover Waldrip — Services are 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel.
(February 2, 2010, Page 2)