Online Edition
Friday, February 27, 2015

Burney Branch

Cigarette ruled cause of fatal fire

A lit cigarette is the likely cause of a house fire that claimed the life of Oxford resident William Earl Williams on Monday afternoon. (February 18, 2015, Page 2A)

Local man dies in house fire

William Earl Williams, 44, died after Oxford firefighters found him unconscious in his Burney Branch home after a fire started in the bathroom. (February 17, 2015, Page 1)

MDEQ warns: Don’t swim, fish near UM

The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality  issued a temporary water contact advisory Wednesday for Burney Branch and an unnamed tributary near the University of Mississippi campus. Officials say a new waste water treatment plant at the university may have leaked some sludge into the streams. MDEQ warns against swimming or fishing in the streams. (April 13, 2011, Page 2)

Oxford Eagle First National Bank