A variety of musical guests perform on the second Saturday of each month at the Tula Opry which was a 30-year dream of Rusty Pinion. See the grand ol’ opry in Tula in today’s Oxford Living. (April 15, 2011, Page 1B)
The body of a woman labeled a pauper at last week’s Lafayette County Board of Supervisor’s meeting has been claimed and put to rest by family members in Bruce.
Natalie “Nikki” Coleman was buried in Bruce Saturday in a family burial plot.
Coleman was found dead in her University Arbors apartment on Oct. 28. On Monday, Lafayette County Coroner Rocky Kennedy told supervisors he could not locate family to pay for Coleman’s cremation. The board approved to foot the bill under the county’s Pauper Burial policy. (November 8, 2010, Page 2A)
Oxford Generations columnist Leah McCormick writes about living out your dream this week:
Years ago, I thought I had the job of my dreams, the one I’d worked so hard for — and then I stepped off the treadmill …
I’ll never forget my first day off. I just wanted to be in the moment with my children. I did laundry, got a wild hair and hung them on the clothes line. My daughter, Rivers, stood on an upside down 5-gallon bucket beside me and “helped.” The wind was blowing slightly, moving the sheets slowly in the wind. It was so “Little House on the Prairie.” Rivers beamed at me. I beamed right back. (October 1, 2010, Page 1B)
The 19th annual Bruce Sawmill Festival will be held on Friday and Saturday on the Square in Bruce. Formal opening will be at 6 p.m. Friday with continuous entertainment all night ending with Jessey Higdon along with the Muddy Water Band playing at 9.
Saturday will include a 5K run, Show and Shine Car Show, art show in the future forestry museum, arts and crafts, food and venders of all type, local entertainment and a few political speakers. For more information, call Faye at 662-983-2222. (July 3, 2010)
- Jessie Louise Brown — Services are Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Visitation is 6-7 this evening at Mt. Hope Missionary Baptist Church in Taylor. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of arrangements.
- Arthur Lee Fondren Sr. — Services are 2 p.m. Saturday at Mt. Gillion Missionary Baptist Church in Sardis. Visitation is today from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Cooley’s Mortuary in Batesville.
- William Henry Helm Jr. — Services are noon Saturday at Jackson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church in Bruce. Belle Memorial Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Rachel Barr McGee — Services are 11 a.m. Monday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of arrangements.
- Minnie Vaughn — Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home of Oxford.
(January 8, 2010, Page 2A)
- William Henry Helm Jr. — Arrangements are incomplete with Belle Memorial Funeral Home in Bruce.
- Kevin Jones Sr. — Services are noon Saturday at East St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church. Hodges-Serenity Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Rachel Barr McGee — Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
(January 7, 2010, Page 2)