After a 4-0 week, the Ole Miss baseball team (6-1 overall) is on the move. In Baseball America’s rankings, the Rebels jumped up to No. 21 from No. 24.
The Week That Was:
Looking back at the week that was, there’s a few interesting stats that stand out — but keep in mind, Ole Miss played Oakland and Arkansas State.
- The Ole Miss outfield appears to be pretty slick at the plate. Freshman LF Tanner Mathis batted a team-best .500 (4-for-8), with junior RF Matt Smith (.462, 6-for-13) and junior CF Tim Ferguson (.429, 6-for-14) close behind him.
- Senior IF Zach Miller had a team-high nine RBIs, although he hit .250 (3-for-12).
- OF Cliff Vaughn is hitting 1.000 on the year, after hitting a single against Oakland in mop-up duty.
- Senior SS Kevin Mort and junior C Miles Hamblin are off to tough starts, hitting .077 (1-for-13) and .000 (0-for-10) on the week. Mort’s some-what saving grace is that he only Kd once, where Hamblin had five strikeouts with zero walks.
- The team was 5-for-6 on stolen base attempts (Ferguson had four, Smith had one, and Alex Yarbrough was caught stealing).
(March 1, 2010)