Online Edition
Thursday, October 23, 2014

Mike Hill

Keep safe, warm in big chill

With 8 inches of snow in Lafayette County, many children, and even adults, spent their day Monday playing in the snow, followed by getting warm by a fireplace or space heater.

Fortunately, their memories will remain good ones.

A National Fire Protection Association report shows 73 percent of home heating fire deaths can be attributed to space heaters and other alternate heating sources. (January 11, 2011, Page 1)

9-11 heroes recalled

Oxford firefighters Randy Jones, Braden Theobald and Matt Tatum climbed 110 stories in remembrance of the 343 firefighters that died when the Twin Towers collapsed.  The men were participants in the inaugural Nashville 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb, held at the Pinnacle at Symphony Place building in downtown Nashville, Tenn.

(more…) (October 6, 2010, Page 1)

Fire strikes bowling alley

An early morning fire left The Lanes bowing alley and Brass Monkey bar and grill destroyed — and Oxford residents without water.

The combination of a high-profile fire and lack of water made for hectic start of the day for emergency responders and hundreds of the city’s residents.

The cause of the city’s water problem started hours before the fire, when a Chevy Tahoe ran off Molly Barr Road at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday and struck an electric pole, knocking it down, according to city officials. (September 22, 2010, Page 1)

Being prepared for the worst

Each time a police officer or firefighter responds to a call, there’s a risk they may not return home to their families that day.
Everyone of them know the risk and still choose to spend their lives saving and protecting others.
Several Oxford lawyers will be making sure all first-responder’s families are also protected in the event of their loved-ones death. (June 10, 2010, Page 1)

Property owners put up $9K reward

The owners of The Gin, that burned down Saturday night, are offering $9,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone involved with the fire. (March 12, 2010, Page 2A)

Wildfires catch on

Since Thursday, Lafayette County Volunteer Fire Chief Larry McKinney has lost count on the exact numbers of brush, wood and tree fires in the county.
“It was around 10 to 15 fires we responded to through Sunday,” McKinney said. They’ve been common lately thanks to dry leaves and dead grass as people burn off brush piles. (March 9, 2010, Page 1)

Stove possible cause of afternoon fire

Food left cooking on the stove may be the cause of a kitchen fire Monday afternoon at Anderson Walk Apartments. The fire broke out at about 3 p.m. in an upstairs apartment in one of the complex’s quad-units. Neighbors heard the smoke-detector alarms and saw smoke coming from the apartment, said landlord Teresa Whitehead. (February 23, 2010, Page 1)

 Page 2 of 2 « 1  2 
The Highlands, A Private Lake Community First National Bank