NEW ORLEANS — Heading into this season, it looked like Ole Miss freshman infielder Alex Yarbrough was going to be a key reserve that got chances to start when injuries or slumps would befall starters. After the Tulane series, it’s going to be hard to take the Allen, Texas, native out of the lineup. (March 8, 2010, Page 6a)
NEW ORLEANS — The baseball gods were not kind to Ole Miss on Sunday. Or they were wearing green shirts and were sympathetic to Tulane’s previous two losses. Either way, they made sure there was no doubt which team would win the series finale at Turchin Stadium.
In Sunday’s 12-4 win over No. 21 Ole Miss, Tulane was able to get hits by the bushel, tallying 20 total hits — 18 of which were singles — and chased Rebels starter Trent Rothlin after 3.2 innings of work. (March 8, 2010, Page 6a)
OLE MISS BASEBALL — At times during Ole Miss’ first seven games, freshman infielder Alex Yarbrough seemed like he couldn’t buy a hit. On Tuesday, Yarbrough looked like a seasoned veteran during No. 21 Ole Miss’ 7-2 victory against the Memphis Tigers at Oxford-University Stadium. (March 3, 2010, Page 8)
After a 4-0 week, the Ole Miss baseball team (6-1 overall) is on the move. In Baseball America’s rankings, the Rebels jumped up to No. 21 from No. 24.
The Week That Was:
Looking back at the week that was, there’s a few interesting stats that stand out — but keep in mind, Ole Miss played Oakland and Arkansas State.
- The Ole Miss outfield appears to be pretty slick at the plate. Freshman LF Tanner Mathis batted a team-best .500 (4-for-8), with junior RF Matt Smith (.462, 6-for-13) and junior CF Tim Ferguson (.429, 6-for-14) close behind him.
- Senior IF Zach Miller had a team-high nine RBIs, although he hit .250 (3-for-12).
- OF Cliff Vaughn is hitting 1.000 on the year, after hitting a single against Oakland in mop-up duty.
- Senior SS Kevin Mort and junior C Miles Hamblin are off to tough starts, hitting .077 (1-for-13) and .000 (0-for-10) on the week. Mort’s some-what saving grace is that he only Kd once, where Hamblin had five strikeouts with zero walks.
- The team was 5-for-6 on stolen base attempts (Ferguson had four, Smith had one, and Alex Yarbrough was caught stealing).
(March 1, 2010)
Ole Miss shortstop Kevin Mort is looking to be even better on defense this year for the Rebels. Despite having just seven errors last year, Mort wants to cut down on that number this season to a figure that almost no player has accomplished. (February 10, 2010, Page Page 10)