It’s been a semi-busy day today in the world of Ole Miss sports considering the university is on Spring Break. (more…) (March 15, 2010)
What would an Ole Miss team with the likes of Seth Smith, Stephen Head, Brian Pettway, Chris Coghlan, Zach Cozart and a guy named Jeff Francoeur been capable of?
From my 30-minute phone conversation with former Ole Miss baseball coach Dan McDonnell I could have written six articles. Instead, a feature on McDonnell and a Q&A landed in Friday’s edition of The Oxford EAGLE… and I still had more left over. Here are some quotes I didn’t use involving former Ole Miss 1B Andrew Clark’s progression since transferring to Louisville and the recruitment of current New York Mets outfielder Jeff Francoeur: (more…) (March 13, 2010)
Less than 24 hours after losing a heartbreaking 6-1 game to Louisville in 12 innings on Friday, the Ole Miss baseball team rebounded to win Game 2 of the three game series 8-3 on Saturday at Oxford-University Stadium.
(more…) (March 13, 2010)
Ole Miss women’s hoops signee and Raymond High standout Valencia McFarland was named Mississippi’s Gatorade Player of the Year today. (more…) (March 11, 2010)
Here’s some extra post-game quotes from Tuesday’s 14-4 Ole Miss win over Austin Peay concerning pitcher (turned slugger?) Matt Tracy…
Against the Govs on Tuesday, Tracy went 2-for-4 with a home run and a double. (more…) (March 10, 2010)
No. 18 Ole Miss Rebels starting lineup vs. Austin Peay:
CF Tim Ferguson .388 2HR 5RBI 6BB 9K 6/6SB
2B Zach Miller .286 1HR 17 RBI 5BB 11K 2/2SB
RF Matt Smith .286 2HR 11RBI 13BB 9K 1/1SB (more…) (March 10, 2010)
With Spring Training well underway and several Rebels trying out (or firmly cemented) with big league teams, I figured it’d be good to update how they’re doing. (more…) (March 10, 2010)
Ole Miss starting pitcher Trent Rothlin was tagged with the loss, surrendering six runs runs in 3.2 innings.
Ole Miss (9-2 overall) will return to the diamond to face Austin Peay in a two-game midweek series beginning Tuesday at Oxford-University Stadium. Rory McKean is scheduled to start for the Rebels. (March 7, 2010)
NEW ORLEANS — Hitting the road for the first time can always be an experience to say the least, and the Ole Miss baseball team’s first road trip is no exception. On Friday, the Rebels were able to hold on after surrendering a three-run eighth inning to defeat the Tulane Green Wave 6-4. Saturday, the Rebels never had a big inning, but were able to earn a convincing 5-1 victory.
(more…) (March 6, 2010)
After a 4-0 week, the Ole Miss baseball team (6-1 overall) is on the move. In Baseball America’s rankings, the Rebels jumped up to No. 21 from No. 24.
The Week That Was:
Looking back at the week that was, there’s a few interesting stats that stand out — but keep in mind, Ole Miss played Oakland and Arkansas State.
- The Ole Miss outfield appears to be pretty slick at the plate. Freshman LF Tanner Mathis batted a team-best .500 (4-for-8), with junior RF Matt Smith (.462, 6-for-13) and junior CF Tim Ferguson (.429, 6-for-14) close behind him.
- Senior IF Zach Miller had a team-high nine RBIs, although he hit .250 (3-for-12).
- OF Cliff Vaughn is hitting 1.000 on the year, after hitting a single against Oakland in mop-up duty.
- Senior SS Kevin Mort and junior C Miles Hamblin are off to tough starts, hitting .077 (1-for-13) and .000 (0-for-10) on the week. Mort’s some-what saving grace is that he only Kd once, where Hamblin had five strikeouts with zero walks.
- The team was 5-for-6 on stolen base attempts (Ferguson had four, Smith had one, and Alex Yarbrough was caught stealing).
(March 1, 2010)