The new “Let’s Talk” program at Ole Miss began this semester to allow students to drop in without signing up to be able to talk to a counselor. The program allows counselors to be available at a variety of locations throughout campus Monday-Thursday from noon to 2 p.m. (September 7, 2010, Page 5)
Federal dollars will begin to improve drugs and fight cyber crime. Thanks to research being conducted at the University of Mississippi’s Center for Pharmaceutical Processing and the National Center for Justice and the Rule of Law at Ole Miss. The operators of both programs can thank the federal government for much needed funding. With grants cutting-edge equipment will help with drug delivery systems and Internet crime training. (September 6, 2010, Page 1A)
The University of Mississippi set a new enrollment record with the largest freshman class ever in the 162-year history of Ole Miss, numbers are also up for total enrollment at UM. With 3,089 new freshman on campus, the university saw a 19.9 percent increase over last fall. Preliminary enrollment figures show UM’s total unduplicated head count on all its campuses is 19,536, another record. (September 6, 2010, Page 1A)
William H. Morris isn’t a professional photographer. He’s just a man with a camera and a knack for taking pictures that capture the spirit of his alma mater, the University of Mississippi, Oxford and the people who call it home.
More than 20 years of photographs are what fills Morris’ new coffee-table book, “Ole Miss at Oxford.” The self-published hardcover book contains 300 full-color photographs on 232 pages. See a few of those photos in today’s Oxford Living. (September 3, 2010, Page 1B)
Colonel Reb is soon to be a remnant of the past as he goes into the vault tomorrow. Today is the last official day his image can be licensed. The College Licensing Company, the agent for the University of Mississippi licensing issues, released a memo in March to all licensees that the image of the Colonel may only be licensed through August 31. Tomorrow he enters the College Vault Program where the image can only be licensed out for special occasions for historical use. (August 31, 2010, Page 1)
In March, a group of community leaders and involved citizens attended a retreat to learn how create open dialogue and get people talking about racial and economic divers in the L-O-U community.
As a follow-up to that retreat, the University of Mississippi’s William Winter Institute for Racial Reconciliation and The Amos Network of Lafayette County will be holding a Welcome Table retreat, “A Conversation on Race,” from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. (August 27, 2010, Page 2A)
A CONVERSATION WITH — Eddie Willis is starting a new phase of his life back on the Ole Miss campus at the Wesley Foundation ministry. For many weeks before students set foot on campus Willis was busy preparing a place for them. Now that the students have arrived, Willis is ready to begin his position he sees as a “ministry coach” and help the group grow back into a healthier size. (August 26, 2010, Page 3)
The Center for Manufacturing Excellence – an interdisciplinary program that brings together the Schools of Engineering, Accountancy, and Business Administration at the University of Mississippi is reportedly the only undergraduate program of its kind in the country. The program is off to a good start with 27 students enrolled and more are expected as the nearby Toyota plant opens. (August 25, 2010, Page 1)
The Oxford Lions have helped the needy obtain eye glasses for almost 70 years when the club was first chartered.
The club gives out about two $125 grants a month to adults and children who cannot afford to purchase glasses and, for whatever reason, are not eligible for Medicaid.
The club also takes donations of old eye glasses that are recycled and given to needy families. Old eye glasses can be dropped off at most Oxford eye clinics or the Bank of Commerce, 1610 W. Jackson Ave. Monetary donations for the eye program can be mailed to Oxford Lions, P.O. Box 1751, Oxford MS 38655 or given to any local Lions Club member. For more information, call Mulkey at 234-2220. (August 25, 2010, Page 1)
Mississippi House of Representatives member James Alexander Ventress, in early February of 1840, introduced a bill “to provide for the location of the State University.” He was chairman of the house committee on the seminary fund. The House passed the bill on Feb. 10 and then sent it to the state Senate. The Senate quickly passed the bill and sent it on to the Gov. Alexander G. McNutt, for him to sign into law. He signed the bill on Feb. 20, 1840. (August 20, 2010, Page 3B)