The man charged with breaking into several homes and stealing women’s lingerie has been denied bond.
Joseph Paul Lillo, of the Law Hills community in Marshall County, was arrested Sunday and charged with 11 counts of burglary for allegedly breaking into homes in the LOU area since June.
During its regular meeting Monday, the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors invoked a burn ban for the county due to dry conditions.
The ban is in effect until Nov. 1, although it could be lifted sooner if conditions improve sufficiently.
The panty thief who has been rummaging through Oxford women’s drawers and stealing their unmentionables has been taken into custody, according to the Oxford Police Department.
The suspect, whose name has not been released as of this morning, has allegedly broken into 12 homes in the city and two in the county since June, each time taking lingerie and panties from his victims. (October 4, 2010, Page 1A)
The Pink Dress Run will be held 6 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 28 on the Square. Registration is $10 in advance and $15 on the day of the run which will begin at the Mid-Town Shopping Center on North Lamar Boulevard and end at the Square. And of course, participants are asked to wear pink.
Registration fees will give participants a pink VIP band that allows them to take advantage of several post-race discounts at participating Square businesses.
For more information on how to register for the run or participate as a sponsor, visit pinkdressrun.com or call Ott at 801-6922 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. (October 1, 2010, Page 1A)
County officials were hoping to get an official burn ban in place for Lafayette County this morning at a special meeting of the Board of Supervisors; however, not enough supervisors were at the meeting to reach the quorum needed to approve the ban.
Three out of five supervisors are necessary to vote on anything official. Supervisors Robert Blackmon and Lloyd Oliphant were the only supervisors present at the meeting.
The item will be placed on the agenda for Monday’s regular meeting at 9 a.m. at the Chancery Building. (September 30, 2010, Page 1)
The last day to register to vote in the upcoming general election on Nov. 2 is this Saturday.
The Lafayette County Circuit Clerk’s Office will be open from 8 a.m. to noon Saturday to accommodate last-minute voter registrations.
Those wishing to vote absentee must have their ballots mailed in enough time for them to be at the Circuit Clerk’s Office by Nov. 1. The office will be open 8 a.m. to noon on Oct. 23 and Oct. 30 to allow voters to come in and vote absentee. (September 29, 2010, Page 1)
A Lafayette County jury took four hours to deliver a guilty verdict against a former Oxford man, charged with molesting his 16-year-old foster child.
David Campbell, 46, was originally charged with fondling by a person in a position of trust or authority and sexual battery by a person in a position of trust or authority. The jury acquitted Campbell on the sexual battery, but found him guilty on the fondling charge. (September 28, 2010, Page 1)
Lafayette County’s unemployment rate fell steeply from July to August, dropping from 9.8 percent to 6.9 percent — a nearly 30 percent decline in the number of unemployed people in the local workforce. (September 27, 2010, Page 5A)
During its regular meeting Friday, the Oxford School Board approved a motion to have Lafayette County School District Superintendent Mike Foster head up the Oxford-Lafayette School of Applied Technology.
The city and county school districts will split the cost of Foster’s $10,000-a-year raise. (September 27, 2010, Page 1)
The Lafayette County Detention Center has committed some violations of its own, according to a food facility inspections report issued Thursday by the Mississippi State Department of Health.
The jail’s kitchen earned a “C” rating by inspector Washington MacCarthur after a surprise inspection on Sept. 16.
According to the report, the jail had seven violation with three being corrected on the spot. The other four violations included hands not being clean and properly washed; no adequate hand-washing facilities and having a certified manager. (September 24, 2010, Page 1A)