Air Evac flew in its helicopter to the Oxford-Lafayette School of Applied Technology to discuss career opportunities and what they do as a pilot, paramedic and registered nurse. James DeNigris, pilot for the Air Evac team, shows students the engine. (April 20, 2010, Page 7)
On Friday, the Oxford School Board met with the Oxford Board of Aldermen to present them with the district’s proposal for a new high school and complete renovation of the entire school district. (April 19, 2010, Page 1A)
The Oxford School Board approved Tuesday a new Oxford Middle School cheerleader squad that will include tryouts, and cheer camp as well as training. (April 16, 2010, Page 6A)
Several new faces will make their stage debut tonight as Oxford High School’s Theatre Department presents the Neil Simon play, “Rumors,” in the Kayla Sue Mize Auditorium at OHS. (April 15, 2010, Page 1)
Former CBS Evening News anchor Dan Rather shared memories of covering the 1962 riots at the University of Mississippi when speaking to a standing-room-only crowd Wednesday at the Overby Center on campus as part of the Society of Professional Journalists naming the school as its 100th National Historic Site in Journalism. (April 15, 2010, Page 1)
Skipping school or being tardy too often next year will come with some very real consequences if a new policy is approved by the Oxford School Board. A compulsory school attendance policy that follows state law will be voted on as soon as April 29. (April 14, 2010, Page 1A)
Oxford High School released its third nine weeks honor roll. Students with all A’s are on the principal’s list. Students with A’s and B’s are on the honor roll. (April 13, 2010, Page 7A-8A)
Della Davidson Elementary School took home two top prizes in the Mississippi Destination ImagiNation Tournament held March 27 in Columbus.
The Oxford Eagles — Claire Stevens, Michaela Spillers, Ann Leigh Robbins and Addison Meadows — won the Breaking DI News competition, and the Wild Thangs — Add Kimbrell, Kevin Dao, Sara Caroline Bridgers, Anna Dennis, and Haley Caradine — won the Band Together Competition.
The two teams will represent Mississippi in the Global Destination ImagiNation Finals being held on May 26-29 in Knoxville, Tenn.
- Bramlett Elementary Citizens of the month for April were announced.
- A physics show is on April 15 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Fulton Chapel at the University of Mississippi. For questions, contact the Department of Physics and Astronomy at 915-7428.
- The Department of Commerce (DOC) National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has awarded $1,998,000 in funding for the University of Mississippi.
- The Della Davidson Elementary School library is among the 4,000 libraries selected to receive the We the People “More Perfect Union” Bookshelf.
- Jun Ying of Oxford was named to the dean’s list at Johns Hopkins University.
- Oxford High School Theatre Department will stage “Rumors” Thursday through Saturday.
- Steer Raffle set April 22 for the Lafayette Future Farmers of America.
- Walking Wednesdays continue tomorrow.
- Black Jack School Reunion set for April 24