- Lafayette High School student Ann-Marie Herod has been accepted into the Mississippi School for the Arts in theatre.
- Bramlett Elementary School’s First Grade teachers celebrated first grade students Accelerated Reading quiz challenge requiring their teachers to dance the Macarena, The Chicken Dance and a few others.
- Students showed exemplary behavior and citizenship for the month of March at Oxford Elementary. Students were awarded certificates, ribbons, and a special treat at lunch.
- Students are on the Headmaster’s List and Honor Roll for Oxford University School.
- “The Charger” newspaper has received a Silver Crown award from the Columbia Scholastic Press Association based at Columbia University in New York City.
Lafayette Elementary School students had a chance to learn about being “green” during a fun hour of activities outside their school Friday. The Students for a Green Campus, a student-led organization focused on promoting the University of Mississippi Green Initiative, organized a Green Field Day at LES. (March 30, 2010, Page 6)
Oxford High School Charger newspaper student editor Cathy Chen took home the Editor of the Year award and OHS Principal Bill Hovious was named the Administrator of the Year at this year’s Mississippi Scholastic Press Association Awards. The school earned several other honors at the annual event held last week at the University of Mississippi. (March 30, 2010, Page 6)
Local students swept the Regional Science Fair last week at the University of Mississippi, with Della Davidson Elementary taking the Best School in Show award along with 15 awards for individual students. (March 30, 2010, Page 14)
In this week’s Education briefs:
- Lafayette Upper Elementary School honor roll
- Tonya W. Camp graduates Excelsior College
- The Oxford Middle School Choirs traveled to Mississippi College on Thursday for State Choral Festival adjudication.
- Oxford High School student Tri-Thien Che was among 16 outstanding Mississippi high school seniors were honored at a luncheon last week at the Capital Club in Jackson for their academic success and their involvement in their schools and community.
- English instructor Morgan Cutturini of Oxford participated in the Itawamba Community College’s 23rd annual Higher Education Appreciation Day Working for Academic Excellence held recently.
- Adrian Young was named the Mary Cathey Head Start Center employee of the month.
- Eight Lafayette FFA students competed March 12 at the North District FFA Competition held at the Oxford/Lafayette Applied Technology Center.
- Bradley Shields of Oxford is spending the spring semester in Florence, Italy.
- Ole Miss is offering a reading camp to fourth- through sixth-graders in June.
- Monday will be Mississippi Clarinet Day at the University of Mississippi.
The halls of Bramlett Elementary School were fill with art aficionados Tuesday looking at paintings and pottery painted and created by BES students. Jamie Windham covers the annual event that is a fundraiser for the BES art program. (March 24, 2010, Page 3A)
- Anne Hemphill named teacher of the year in Batesville.
- Casey Kidd of Pontotoc named to Berklee College dean’s list
- State testing set at Oxford High School
- Lafayette Middle School students earn top honors
- OHS Class of 1990 plans reunion
- Students compete for Oxford Middle School Idol
Two friends took a fateful trip together 98 years ago. Together they boarded a cruise ship named the Titanic. Fast forward to Oxford Elementary School in 2010 and two friends Sam Barnard and Luke Lilly in the INSIGHTS program discover their relatives were the linking pair that went down with the unsinkable ship. (March 23, 2010, Page 5)