Oxford High School released its third nine weeks honor roll. Students with all A’s are on the principal’s list. Students with A’s and B’s are on the honor roll. (April 13, 2010, Page 7A-8A)
Della Davidson Elementary School took home two top prizes in the Mississippi Destination ImagiNation Tournament held March 27 in Columbus.
The Oxford Eagles — Claire Stevens, Michaela Spillers, Ann Leigh Robbins and Addison Meadows — won the Breaking DI News competition, and the Wild Thangs — Add Kimbrell, Kevin Dao, Sara Caroline Bridgers, Anna Dennis, and Haley Caradine — won the Band Together Competition.
The two teams will represent Mississippi in the Global Destination ImagiNation Finals being held on May 26-29 in Knoxville, Tenn.
Six Oxford High School seniors, Cathy Chen, Felicity Flesher, Tom Lutken, Jillian Mattern, Alex Mullen, and Susanna Rychlak, are among 15,000 students chosen as National Merit Finalists. Each are in the running to receive one of 2,500 National Merit $2,500 scholarships or one of 6,000 other scholarships. (April 6, 2010, Page 6)
Oxford High School Charger newspaper student editor Cathy Chen took home the Editor of the Year award and OHS Principal Bill Hovious was named the Administrator of the Year at this year’s Mississippi Scholastic Press Association Awards. The school earned several other honors at the annual event held last week at the University of Mississippi. (March 30, 2010, Page 6)
Local students swept the Regional Science Fair last week at the University of Mississippi, with Della Davidson Elementary taking the Best School in Show award along with 15 awards for individual students. (March 30, 2010, Page 14)
In this week’s Education briefs:
- Lafayette Upper Elementary School honor roll
- Tonya W. Camp graduates Excelsior College
- The Oxford Middle School Choirs traveled to Mississippi College on Thursday for State Choral Festival adjudication.
- Oxford High School student Tri-Thien Che was among 16 outstanding Mississippi high school seniors were honored at a luncheon last week at the Capital Club in Jackson for their academic success and their involvement in their schools and community.
- English instructor Morgan Cutturini of Oxford participated in the Itawamba Community College’s 23rd annual Higher Education Appreciation Day Working for Academic Excellence held recently.
- Adrian Young was named the Mary Cathey Head Start Center employee of the month.
- Eight Lafayette FFA students competed March 12 at the North District FFA Competition held at the Oxford/Lafayette Applied Technology Center.
- Bradley Shields of Oxford is spending the spring semester in Florence, Italy.
- Ole Miss is offering a reading camp to fourth- through sixth-graders in June.
- Monday will be Mississippi Clarinet Day at the University of Mississippi.
The halls of Bramlett Elementary School were fill with art aficionados Tuesday looking at paintings and pottery painted and created by BES students. Jamie Windham covers the annual event that is a fundraiser for the BES art program. (March 24, 2010, Page 3A)