A CONVERSATION WITH — Principal Margaret Boyd enjoys sharing her longtime hobby of growing flowers and vegetables with children at Lafayette Elementary School. Recently, she had the opportunity to show kids how to plant vegetable seeds when the University of Mississippi’s Students for a Green Campus came out to host a Green Field Day for second graders. (April 29, 2010, Page 3)
Running a photography business and raising four sons would be enough for most people, but for Lafayette School District Parent of the Year Brandall Atkinson, doing more to help her children’s school experience is just part of being a parent. (April 28, 2010, Page 1)
PHOTOS — Students at Lafayette Elementary School took part in the school carnival Friday. (April 27, 2010, Page 7)
- Oxford High School theater department will stage “Almost, Maine” as the annual Kayla Sue Mize fundraiser this Friday-Sunday.
- Walking Wednesdays continue
- Green innovation forum set for Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Overby Center
- Lafayette High School class of 1970 will host its 40th class reunion on Memorial Day Weekend
- Robyn Thweatt of Oxford was named to the Northwest Mississippi Community College cheer squad
- The Summer Coin program is taking applications for students aged 14-21 for their summer work program.
- Oxford High School band recently returned from a four-day trip to Washington, D.C.
- Lafayette PTO Meeting set for Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
- Oxford High School Class of 1970 Reunion set for Double Decker Weekend
- Local students receive highest academic award at Honors Day convocation
- Lafayette Upper Elementary will host an open house for upcoming third-graders on Thursday from 4:30 to 6 p.m.
- Lafayette School District has two national winners in the Classworks WIN contest.
- Six inductees to enter NWCC Sports Hall of Fame with former Ole Miss player Don Kessinger as the keynote speaker.
- Summer Ecology camp offered and registration now underway.
The Lafayette County School District voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a Staff Reduction in Force policy that outlines how the district should handle any wide-spread layoffs of licensed employees in the district. (April 7, 2010, Page 1)
Lafayette Elementary School students had a chance to learn about being “green” during a fun hour of activities outside their school Friday. The Students for a Green Campus, a student-led organization focused on promoting the University of Mississippi Green Initiative, organized a Green Field Day at LES. (March 30, 2010, Page 6)
Local students swept the Regional Science Fair last week at the University of Mississippi, with Della Davidson Elementary taking the Best School in Show award along with 15 awards for individual students. (March 30, 2010, Page 14)
In this week’s Education briefs:
- Lafayette Upper Elementary School honor roll
- Tonya W. Camp graduates Excelsior College
- The Oxford Middle School Choirs traveled to Mississippi College on Thursday for State Choral Festival adjudication.
- Oxford High School student Tri-Thien Che was among 16 outstanding Mississippi high school seniors were honored at a luncheon last week at the Capital Club in Jackson for their academic success and their involvement in their schools and community.
- English instructor Morgan Cutturini of Oxford participated in the Itawamba Community College’s 23rd annual Higher Education Appreciation Day Working for Academic Excellence held recently.
- Adrian Young was named the Mary Cathey Head Start Center employee of the month.
- Eight Lafayette FFA students competed March 12 at the North District FFA Competition held at the Oxford/Lafayette Applied Technology Center.
- Bradley Shields of Oxford is spending the spring semester in Florence, Italy.
- Ole Miss is offering a reading camp to fourth- through sixth-graders in June.
- Monday will be Mississippi Clarinet Day at the University of Mississippi.