Historian Jack Mayfield writes about 1947 game between the Ole Miss Rebels and LSU Tigers when one player lost his pants.
Historian Jack Mayfield writes this week about E. King Gill and the legend of the “Twelfth Man” for the Texas A&M Aggies. (October 11, 2013, Page 2B)
Before Ole Miss came to be in Oxford, Lafayette County’s first institute of higher learning, the North Mississippi College, was built in what is College Hill today in 1840. (October 4, 2013, Page 2B)
Jack Mayfield writes about his great, great-grandmother, Grandma Gilly, and his family’s roots in Lafayette County. (September 27, 2013, Page 3B)
Church windows at the Burns-Belfry Museum and Multicultural Center will be dedicated in honor and in memory of four Oxonians Saturday in honor and memory of their service to our area. Those four are the late Leonard Thompson and the late Patricia Brown Young and Susie Marshall and Maralyn Bullion.
Jack Lamar Mayfield writes about William Faulkner and his love of hunting. (September 13, 2013, Page 2B)
Historian Jack Mayfield gives us the history of the “fin-sign” and the man who brought it to Ole Miss, the late Tony Fein. (September 6, 2013, Page 2B)
Historian Jack Mayfield kicks off the Ole Miss football season with history of the University of Mississippi’s televised football games. (August 30, 2013, Page 3B)
History columnist Jack Mayfield writes about when women were first allowed to seek higher education at the University of Mississippi. (August 23, 2013, Page 2B)
History columnist Jack Mayfield writes this week about Dr. Felix Grundy Shipp and his mansion built in southern Lafayette County. (August 16, 2013, Page 3B)