The Oxford and University police departments already have body cameras in use. State Rep. Chuck Espy plans on introducing legislation next year that would help fund body cams around Mississippi. And President Barack Obama has called for $263 million to help law enforcement agencies around the country get body cams. We applaud all three and see equipping officers and those on patrol with body cams as good for the agencies and the public they serve. (December 17, 2014, Page 4A)
Local columnist and college instructor Jimmy Reed brings readers a column written by members of his creative writing class: a story of a Christmas past that shows the love between a father and a son. (December 16, 2014, Page 4)
The excitement behind the current Ole Miss football team and program is spilling over into the construction business as Ole Miss officials announced expansion plans for Vaught-Hemingway Stadium Monday. Our view is this is a win-win situation for the Rebel football program and the LOU community which benefits from big crowds at home games. (December 16, 2014, Page 4)
- Elizabeth “Betty” Baker Brewer — 87, died Friday, Dec. 12, 2014, at Oxford Health and Rehab in Oxford. A memorial graveside service will take place at a later date in Shelby Cemetery in Shelby. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Janice Cook — 50, died Dec. 14, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Hodges Funeral Homes will announce arrangements later.
- Venis Phillips — 50, died Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014, at Oxford Health And Rehab. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Jasper “J.M.” Menken Sneed — 81, died Saturday, Dec. 13, 2014, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North MS in Oxford. Funeral services will be held Thursday at 11 a.m. in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home with the Rev. Jim Peterman and the Rev. Sammy Gossett officiating. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held Wednesday from 4-6 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home.
- Wanzie Jordan Williams — 72, died Friday, Dec. 12, 2014, at his home in Oxford. Services were held today in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home with Rev. Robbie Long officiating. Burial followed in Christian Rest Cemetery.
We predict interesting conversations coming up between state lawmakers and their constituents — particularly school officials, educators and parents of school-aged children — as they prepare to deal with two key education issues: fully funding MAEP and Common Core. (December 15, 2014, Page 4)
Columnist ShaundiWall explains to us what a CSA is and how it helps local farmers. (December 14, 2014, Page 2C)
Historical columnist Jack Mayfield shares a few other’s thoughts on what Oxford looked like after it was burned during the Civil War and how desperate times had local citizens petitioning to trade with the enemy. (December 14, 2014, Page 2C)
Columnist Ryan Millers shares with us this week about a recent trip to Japan and the joy of learning about other customs. (December 14, 2014, Page 3C)
Oxford School District Superintendent Brian D. Harvey, in a “Your Turn” guest column, explains the important of fully funding the Mississippi Adequate Education Program. (December 14, 2014, Page 4A)