Football season ends with the Super Bowl. It’s time for basketball and golf and auto racing, right? Well, that’s true unless you’re a big-time college football fan; if so, you know that this week with National Signing Day on Wednesday, is one of the biggest weeks of the year. We encourage all to enjoy football if that’s your thing, the other sports if they or — or maybe just enjoy a few weeks away from the TV. (February 2, 2015, Page 4)
COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) — Leading by two points with 9:37 remaining the first half at Missouri on Saturday, Ole Miss’ Anthony Perez launched a 3-point attempt that bounced high off the back rim only to be palmed by teammate Stefan Moody in midair. The 5-foot-10-inch junior dunked it with his right hand before landing on his feet and flexing his arms in front of the Tigers’ student section. (February 1, 2015, Page 1B)
Columnist Jack Mayfield spends the first week of Black History Month talking about how the town argued over where the names of black fallen soldiers should go on a new monument. Today, all names are listed together on the monument outside of the Lafayette County Courthouse. (February 1, 2015, Page 3C)
Master Gardener intern Michael Danahy tells us how to get our gardening going in February. (February 1, 2015, Page 2C)
Columnist Steve Stricker was asked to fill in for a teacher friend and teach a class on genetics recently. (February 1, 2015, Page 2C)
One of the busiest parts of residential Oxford is the area around Sisk Avenue, and local officials are trying to slow down traffic with lots of bikers, pedestrians (and vehicles) in the area. We call on those who travel through that part of town to watch your speed; having to deal with speed humps — a possibility if things don’t get better — is not ideal for anyone. (February 1, 2015, Page 4A)
- Ronnie G. Allen — 80, died Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at The Orchard in Oxford, with Pat Ward officiating. Interment will follow in the Garden of Memories. Visitation will be held for one hour prior to the service. Coleman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Loquita York McCoy — 80, died Wednesday, Jan. 28, 2015, at her home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Shiloh Baptist Church in Oxford, with the Rev. David Thomas and the Rev. Derrick Starnes officiating. Burial will follow in Shiloh Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 this evening at Waller Funeral Home in Oxford and also one hour prior to the service at the church.
- Ambrose Pettis — 79, died Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015, in Detroit. Services were held Jan. 17 at Mt. Zion M.B. Church, with burial in Gethsemane Cemetery in Detroit.
BATON ROUGE, La. — Birthday girl Danielle McCray was a bright spot in what amounted to a tough shooting night for the Ole Miss women’s basketball team in a 70-41 loss at LSU. McCray posted 15 points and was a rebound shy of her third career double-double with nine rebounds to lead Ole Miss. (January 30, 2015, Page 6A)
Mickey Smith writes to thank city sanitation department workers for all they do to help keep the community beautiful, while Leon and Jocelyn Miller write to urge Mississippians to protect, maintain and promote all of its special resources. (January 30, 2015, Page 4A)
- Ronnie G. Allen — 80, died Wednesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home.
- Loquita Pierce McCoy — 80, died Wednesday at her home in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Norman Stuart Nelson — 79, died Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015, at his home in Oxford. A private memorial service will be held by the family. The family will receive visitors in their home from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday. Waller Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Dr. Edward Rosser Wall Jr. — 82, died Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015, at his home in Oxford. Waller Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.