- Dorothy Elizabeth Heard — 86, died Saturday, June 19, 2010, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Services will held at 4 p.m. Tuesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel, with the Rev. Martin Case officiating. Burial will follow in St. Peter’s Cemetery Oxford. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the serivce at the funeral home.
- James Lawrence Hudson — 85, died Saturday, June 19, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. James West and the Rev. Hal Clark officiating. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service Monday at the funeral home.
- John Eugene Lewis — 79, died Sunday, June 20, 2010, at Memphis VA Medical Center in Memphis. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with Bro. Robert Frierson officiating. Burial will follow in Springdale Cemetery. Visitation will be Monday from 5 until 8 p.m. at the funeral home.
(June 20, 2010)
- Nancy A. Marzette — 89, died Tuesday, June 15, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the TOMB Association Building on Highway 334 East in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Flint Hill Cemetery of Etta. Visitation will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. Monday at Serenity-Martin Funeral Chapel in Oxford and one hour prior to the service at the TOMB Building on Tuesday.
Lafyette’s Josh Mills and Jarrett Patton will join Oxford’s Luke Gibbs on this year’s District 2 All-Star team that will compete in the annual State Games of Mississippi next week.
The three area players were selected to join 15 other players from the Northwest Mississippi area after having a successful tryout on June 2 at NWCC.
The team will be coached by Olive Branch’s Chris Chambliss, while the annual tournament begins Thursday and runs through June 27 at Meridian Community College.
Joining Mills, Patton and Gibbs on this year’s team include: Mitchel Babb (South Panola), Lee Selfs (South Panola), Bobby Epps (South Panola), Garrett Blaylock (DeSoto Central), Mitchell Flowers (DeSoto Central), Cody Carson (Independence), Chase Clark (Bruce), Jay King (Bruce), Austin Gregory (Ingomar), Drew Milligan (DeSoto Central), Jared Thompson (DeSoto Central), Nick Reeves (Olive Branch), Nathan Vannortwick (Olive Branch), Cody Reed (Horn Lake). (June 18, 2010, Page 7A)
Bobby Ray Franklin, a former Ole Miss Rebel standout and current head football coach at Northwest Mississippi Community College, will be one of five members inducted into the Mississippi Association of Coaches Hall of Fame. The awards banquet will be held June 25 at 7 p.m. in the Hilton Hotel in Jackson. Joining Franklin as this year’s group of honorees are Mike Bain, Pontotc High’s championship cross country and track coach, Milton Kuykendall, championship basketball coach at Nettleton and Horn Lake, Jimmy Guy McDonald, championship basketball and baseball coach at Houlka and Kossuth, and Isaiah Peterson, a championship basketball coach at Shelby-Broad Street and Coahoma County.
For more information regarding the banquet or to purchase tickets, contact the MAC offices at (601) 924-3020 or www.mscoaches.com. (June 18, 2010, Page 7A)
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel talks about how and why strokes happen as well as giving warning signs and the proper reaction to those signs in the first part in a series about strokes. (June 17, 2010, Page 14)
Sue Cook writes to applaud the Oxford Board of Aldermen for their recent stand regarding the sale of alcohol on Sundays, while members of the Oxford Tree Board wrote to explain their stance and approach to the local landscaping ordinance. (June 17, 2010, Page 4)
- John W. Beavers Jr. — 82, died Saturday, May 29, 2010. Services were held June 5 at Niday Funeral Home in Houston. Burial followed in Houston National Cemetery.
Registration for the Oxford Park Commission fall soccer season has begun. Registration runs until July 23 and cost is $50. Leagues are open for ages 4 through 14. For more information contact C.J. Ketchum at 232-2380. (June 17, 2010, Page 7)
The Ole Miss Ladies Football Forum will be celebrating its 10th year of existence July 23-24. This year’s guest speaker will be CBS sports broadcaster Tim Brando while country music performer Darryl Worley will give a concert following the first night’s activities.
A fashion show, featuring the wives of the Ole Miss coaches and their children, has already sold out, but it will highlight the first day of the event. The cost of Saturday’s forum is $150 and women have the ability to not only get their picture made with Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt and listen to Brando, but tour the Indoor Practice Facility, watch a highlight video and gain valuable football information from the Ole Miss all the defensive coaches and co-offensive coordinator Dave Rader.
For more information about the weekend’s events, contact Chyna Ward 915-1564. (June 17, 2010, Page 7)
Nan Johnson will present an informative workshop on composting, which is something she insists anyone can do. She has pictures, samples, handouts and a great deal of information to share with those interested in composting, from beginners to more experienced composters. The workshop will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Stone Center, 423 Washington Ave., beside Stone Park and across from the city pool. (June 16, 2010)