A three-run fourth inning helped the 9-year-old Bert’s Plumbing Reds edge the Ligon Oral Surgery Diamondbacks 11-10 in Oxford Park Commission youth baseball action Monday night at FNC Park.
In the other 9-year-old game, the Rainbow Cleaners Yankees pounded the Plein Air Royals 15-3. In two 11-12 games, the Orioles beat the Hunter’s Hollow Brewers 7-2, while the Gilliland Orthodontics Yankees defeated the Oxford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Rays 8-3. (June 8, 2010, Page 7)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed relates a story he received lately about a company CEO testing those who would be vying to run the company after he left. They were to raise plants from a seed he gave them and, as in life, they eventually “reaped what they sowed.” (June 8, 2010, Page 4)
Meets at 4 p.m. Wednesday at the OPC main office, 310 S. 15th St. (June 8, 2010)
Meets at 5:30 this evening in the Oxford City Hall Courtroom. (June 8, 2010)
The members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Lady’s Auxiliary will hold their monthly meeting this evening at the Veterans Building at 125 Veterans Drive. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. The meeting follows at 7. (June 8, 2010)
The DAV, American Legion and the VFW will host a breakfast and some fellowship for all veterans at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Veteran’s Building at 125 Veterans Drive. Breakfast features eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits and coffee. The Veteran’s Building is located at the corner of Veterans Drive and South Lamar Boulevard. Donations are accepted. (June 8, 2010)
Youth Fishing Rodeo
The 2010 Sardis Lake Youth Fishing Rodeo will be held June 26 at the Sardis Lower Lake-Cypress Point Area. Registration will begin at 7 a.m. and the rodeo will start at 7:30. Age classes are 1-5 years old, 6-10 years old and 11-15 years old. Trophies will be awarded for each age class and for the largest fish. For more information, contact Ranger Shea Staten at the Sardis Lake Field Office at 662-563-4531. (June 8, 2010)
The Lafayette County Law Enforcement Officers’ Association will host its 10th annual Youth Fishing rodeo on June 19 at Puskus Lake. Kids, ages 1 to 15, are invited to have a fund-filled day of fishing. Participants will need to bring their own fishing pole. Bait will be provided.
Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. and fishing will be from 8 to 10. Trophies will be award to first- through fifth-place winners in each of the three age groups. Every child fishing will receive a prize. Hot dogs and drinks will be provided. Other sponsors include the U.S. Forestry Commission and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. (June 8, 2010)
Post 55, American Legion, will hold it’s annual installation of officers along with the regular meeting Thursday evening at the Veteran’s Building, 125 Veterans Drive. Supper and fellowship begin at 6 followed by the business meeting at 7. All veterans are invited to attend. (June 8, 2010)
- James Price Cook Sr. — 70, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. Services will be held at 1 this afternoon at the First Baptist Church in Batesville. Burial will follow at Magnolia Cemetery. Dickens Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Lillian “Lyn” Margaret Housley — 77, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. James Episcopal Church in Hendersonville. Thos. Shepherd & Son Funeral Directors is in charge of arrangements.
- David Russell Lucker — 62, died Thursday, June 3, 2010. There are no plans for a memorial service at this time. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Thomas Allen “Tommy” Mills — 65, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday in the Henry Chapel at Seven Oaks Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery in Lafayette County. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening in the Appleton Room at the funeral home.
- Patricia “Patty” Delores Schreiber — 75, died Friday, June 4, 2010. A memorial service to celebrate her life will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery at a later time. Visitation will be held 30 minutes prior to the service at the church. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Sarah Rebecca “Becky” Delp VanArsdall — 85, died Friday, June 4, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 this afternoon at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Visitation will be in Wesley Hall from 12:30 until service time. A private family interment will follow Tuesday at Henry Cemetery in Corinth. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements.