Meets at noon Wednesday at Bofield’s Restraurant on West Jackson Avenue. Arledia Bennett, director of Lafayette County RSVP, will provide an update on the RSVP program. For more information, call John Arrechea at 234-9299. (March 21, 2010)
The Mississippi Homemakers Volunteers of Lafayette County will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Council Office at 101 Veterans Drive. The Eastside MHV Club is the host. Guests and new members are welcome. Refreshments will be served. For more information, call the office at 234-4451 (March 21, 2010)
Drawings, paintings and handmade books by acclaimed artist Amy Wilson will be on display at the University of Mississippi Museum this spring. An opening reception, sponsored by Lenora’s Restaurant, is scheduled for 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at the museum, at Fifth Street and University Avenue. (March 19, 2010, Page 8B)
The play premieres at 8 p.m. Thursday in Fulton Chapel, with encore performances set for 8 p.m. March 26-27, and 2 p.m. matinee performances March 27-28. Tickets are $10.50 for adults, $8.50 for children and seniors, and $7 for UM students with a valid ID. They are available in the UM Box Office in the Student Union or by calling 915-7411.
A SENSE OF PLACE — Oxford and Lafayette County may not have been settled until the 1830s, but a settler from an even earlier era lies in Oxford’s historic cemetery. Born in Virginia in 1759, Daniel Green McKie had reached age 77 — an achievement in itself in that time — when he arrived in Lafayette County with his family. He lived only three years more, and his unmarked grave was later given a headstone by the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. (March 19, 2010, Page 2B)
- Frederick Andrew Brown — formerly of Oxford, died Monday, March 15, 2010. Services will be held at 9 a.m. June 16 at Ft. Myer Chapel. Burial will follow in Arlington National Cemetery. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday at the Jefferson Funeral Chapel in Alexandria, Va.
- Rev. John H. Ford — 87, of Water Valley died Wednesday, March 17, 2010. Funeral services will be held at 2 this afternoon at First United Pentecostal Church in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Seven Oaks Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
The Oxford Park Commission will host its annual Easter Egg Hunt at FNC Park Soccer Fields, located on Old Sardis Road and Highway 314, on April 3. The hunt will begin at 10 a.m. sharp for ages 10 and under. Children will be grouped according to age.
More than 7,000 eggs will be hidden and special “golden eggs” will be marked and can be redeemed for gift certificates and prizes. All participants are asked to bring at least one can good to be donated to The Pantry. The canned goods desired by The Pantry included soups, fruits and meats. Parents will not be allowed to accompany children during the egg hunt and kids need to bring their own baskets. The Easter Bunny will also be there. In case of bad weather, call the OPC hotline at 236-3000. For more information, contact Mike Young at 232-2391. (March 19, 2010)
Billy-Ray’s Fun Day will be held March 27 at Bofields Restaurant. Proceeds will benefit Relay for Life. Children’s activities will be held from 9 a.m. to noon and an auction will take place from noon to 2 p.m. T-shirts will be sold and barbecue plates will be available for $5. The festivities will include sand art, face painting, carriage rides as well as an appearance by the Easter Bunny and more. A magic show featuring the magic and comedy of Steve Thomas will also be held. For more information, call Paquita Childress at (662) 816-9621. (March 18, 2010)
- Rubye Bunkley — 91, died Wednesday, March 17, 2010. A graveside service will be held Friday at 2 p.m. in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- The Rev. John H. Ford — 90, died Wednesday. Arrangements are incomplete with Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley.
- Mildred Quarles — 79, died Saturday, March 13, 2010. Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Jordan Chapel CME Church. Burial will be in Jordan Chapel Cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Christ Temple CME Church. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of arrangements.
NASCAR — While sports news outlets across the country have been reporting on the Carl Edwards-Brad Keselowski saga, Kyle McElhaney is taking his own look at the situation: He’s on the side of Edwards and NASCAR. (March 18, 2010, Page 6)