FISHIN’ WITH CHICK — I have a good friend, Kenny Stack, in South Dakota whose family farm adjoined my grandfather’s farm. We hunt every October and November together. He knows that each time I leave Mississippi to drive a thousand miles to Letcher, South Dakota, my goal is to kill every pheasant there. (May 4, 2010, Page 9)
Galen Armstrong writes about the offshore oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico and how we need to deal with it, while Lee Harris writes to clarify an advertisement and the position of Funky’s restaurant and bar in regard to Double Decker and Sunday alcohol sales. (May 3, 2010, Page 4A)
- Wayne F. Coleman — 88, died Friday, April 30, 2010, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Services were held earlier this morning at the Pine Bluff Church of Christ in Oxford. Burial followed in the Pine Bluff Cemetery. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Roy G. Hill — 68, died Sunday, May 2, 2010, at Baptist Hospital in Union County. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be Tuesday from 4 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Phyllis Sabbatini — 45, died Sunday in Lafayette County. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Oakridge Cemtery in Clarksdale. Visitation will be from 9 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday at the McNeil-Nowell Funeral Home in Clarksdale.
Wayne F. Coleman — 88, died Friday, April 30, 2010, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Pine Bluff Church of Christ in Oxford, with Bro. Bill Russell officiating. Burial will follow in the Pine Bluff Cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. (May 2, 2010)
Alzheimer’s Caregiver Group
The Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Caregiver support group will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the Azalea Gardens Assisted Living Community, 100 Azalea Drive. The discussion will be “Caregiver Burnout: Signs and Symptoms.” For more information, contact the Three Rivers Area Agency on Aging at (877) 948-3090 or Jo Ann O’Quin, UM’s Department of Social Work, at 915-7199 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The meetings are open to all caregivers interested in those with Alzheimer’s and related memory loss disorders. (May 2, 2010)
Oxford and Ole Miss historian Jack Lamar Mayfield takes a look at the accomplishments of one of Oxford’s most distinguished citizens, Jacob Thompson as the University Museum, the city of Oxford and the Oxford-Lafayette County Heritage Foundation gets set to celebrate Thompson’s birthday with a special event on May 11. (April 30, 2010, Page 2B)
Treating skinned knees and managing playground politics is all in a day’s work for day care workers. Sheena Baker talks with local day care providers to find out how they’ve made conflict resolution a big part of their work the last few years. (April 30, 2010, Page 1B)
- Alice Louise Addor Sleeper, 82, died Thursday, April 29, 2010, at Boulder County Hospice. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Crist Mortuary Chapel in Boulder. Burial will follow at Mountain View Cemetery.
- Susan Heatherly Henson, 54, died Wednesday, April 28, 2010. Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. today at Philadelphia Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Philadelphia Baptist Church Cemetery. Glenfield Funeral Home of New Albany is in charge of arrangements.
- The Rev. Connell “C.M.” Matthew White, 85, died Wednesday, April 28, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at Harrisonville M. B. Church of Oxford. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford and one hour prior to the service at the church on Monday.
Lafayette opened the Class 4A playoffs in style with an 8-0 win over Cleveland thanks to an outstanding pitching performance by Jarrett Patton and three home runs from three different players. (April 30, 2010, Page 7A)