Clark Hunt was pleased with the turnout at the recent Homeless Task Force meeting, but wants to make sure local government officials and members of the community remain aware of the needs of the Interfaith Compassion Ministry which offers most of the assistance now. (March 5, 2010, Page 4A)
Members of the Oxford and Ole Miss community enjoyed eye-catching art, ear-pleasing live music and heart-warming generosity at the inaugural Sunflower County Freedom Project benefit Wednesday at Frank and Marlee’s. The proceeds from the event will support of the efforts of the Freedom Project, a program designed to improve the lives of those who live in the Delta. (March 5, 2010, Page 3A)
- Bettye Inez Taylor Dickens — 98, formerly of Oxford, died Saturday, Feb. 27, 2010. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association building in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Salem United Methodist Church Cemetery in Oxford. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 this evening at the Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home Chapel and one hour prior to the services at the TOMB building on Saturday.
- Roosevelt “Smitty” Galmore — 65, died Sunday, Feb. 28, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at Mt. Gillion M.B. Church in Batesville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service at the church. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Howard Barry Hannah — 67, died Monday, March 1, 2010. The family will have a private funeral and graveside service with a public Memorial Service at Fulton Chapel on the University of Mississippi Campus on Sunday at 4:30 p.m. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Rachel Gerdes Lewand — 67, died Thursday, March 4, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be Saturday from 4 until 6 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home.
- Carey S. McCollins — 31, died Tuesday at his home in Water Valley. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
What are two of the most neglected habits among gardeners? Correct pruning and keeping tools sharp. Master Gardeners Carroll Crenshaw and Don Giles shared their tips on those topics recently as part of the Lafayette County Master Gardeners’ spring gardening series. To keep tools sharp — like Giles’s 40-year-old shovel — clean them well after every use. (March 5, 2010, Page 3B)
A SENSE OF PLACE — According to Lafayette County folklore and tradition, the Harmon family settled the county’s northwestern corner and became friendly with the local Chickasaw Indian chief, Toby Tubby. Local historian Jack Lamar Mayfield traces the history of Harmontown as his series on Lafayette County communities continues. (March 5, 2010, Page 3B)
The Lafayette County & Oxford Public Library will host its twice-a-month gathering of the Library Craft Circle at 6 p.m. Monday. For more information, call the library at 234-5751. (March 5, 2010)
The Lafayette County & Oxford Public Library will feature “Between the Lions” at Story Time at 10 a.m. Monday. For more information, call the library at 234-5751. (March 5, 2010)
The members of the Woman’s Forum will meet at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Azalea Gardens. Hostesses will be Louise Ragland and Nora Dalton. (March 5, 2010)
If you are a mature individual that cares for the well-being of others and has a passion for working with victims of sexual assault and other crimes, Family Crisis Services needs you as a volunteer. Volunteer training will be held March 9 – 11, from 5:15 – 8:30 p.m. each night. Volunteers must attend all sessions. For more information or to sign up, call Jennifer at 234-9929. (March 5, 2010)
The Amos Network of Lafayette County will hold its next Homebuyer Education Workshop at 9 a.m. March 13 in the Magnolia Auditorium of Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. The workshop is HUD certified and free to all participants. For more information, contact Janice F. Carr at 662-380-0662 or e-mail at email@example.com. (March 5, 2010)