All interested citizens of Oxford-Lafayette County are invited to a meeting of the Homeless Task Force at 4 p.m. Sunday at Burns United Methodist Church, 600 Molly Barr Road. Updated statistics on the community’s homeless will be shared and working groups will make reports. For more information, contact Jean Shaw at 234-10153 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. (April 7, 2010)
- Jerry Lee Bobbitt Sr. — 67, died Sunday, April 4, 2010. Services were held this morning at Memphis Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow at 3 this afternoon at Browning Cemetery in Taylor.
- Clifton “Big Mook” Hilliard — 66, died Saturday, April 3, 2010. Services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Friday at Philadelphia M.B. Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
- David Randall Leslie — 44, died Friday, April 2, 2010. Services were held Tuesday at Shackelford Funeral Directors of Bolivar with burial following in Pleasant Grove Cemetery at Hickory Valley.
- Edwin “Edd” Ayers Spencer — died Monday, April 5, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Bethlehem United Methodist Church. Burial will follow at Glenfield Memorial Park. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 this evening at the United Funeral Service funeral home and 10 a.m. until service Thursday at the church.
Linda Abbott writes to thank the community for its participation in, and support for, the Take Back the Night event to stress violence prevention, while Jim McCauley thanked members of the Oxford Tourism Council and others for their help in promoting Oxford. (April 7, 2010, Page 4)
Oxford remained undefeated on the season and in Division 2-5A play Tuesday with a 7-0 win over New Hope. OHS won three matches without yielding a point, including the boys singles match won 6-0, 6-0 by Zach Wilder. (April 7, 2010, Page 7)
The Lafayette tennis team has hit its stride recently, going 2-0 thus far this week to extend its record to 8-3 overall and 5-0 in District 2-4A. (April 7, 2010, Page 7)
The Lafayette County & Oxford Public Library will host Family Story Time at 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Norm Easterbrook, director of the Ford Center, will read “Harold and the Purple Crayon.” (April 7, 2010)
North Mississippi Hospice will sponsor a grief support group meeting at noon Thursday at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. The meeting is open to anyone who has experienced loss. A light lunch will be provided. For more information, call 234-0140. (April 7, 2010)
Columnist Jimmy Reed recalled a recent joke his barber told about the circulation of a $100 bill through a community and then related it to his take on the nation’s debt crisis. (April 6, 2010, Page 4)
- Derald G. Connell — 69, died Thursday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Martha A. Miles — 68, died Saturday, April 3, 2010. Services are today at 2 p.m. at Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley. Visitation is from 1 p.m. until service time at the funeral home.
- Charlie Rotenberry — 65, died Monday, April 5, 2010. Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Wednesday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel in Batesville, with burial to follow in Crowder Cemetery. Visitation is this evening from 5-8 at the funeral home.
- Charles Willis — 53, died Wednesday, March 31, 2010. Services are scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in New Town Cemetery in Charleston. Visitation is from 10 a.m. until service time.