Former Lafayette High standout D.J. LeGrand won the Most Improved Award this season from Holmes Community College for his standout season on the men’s basketball team. LeGrand helped the Bulldogs make the MACJC state tournament this season. (May 19, 2010, Page 7)
A five-run fourth inning helped lift Zaxby’s to come-from-behind 8-5 victory over Taco Bell on the first night of action in the 11-12 year-old league. In the 9-10 league, Shiloh Creek doubled up the Dolphins 12-6. (May 19, 2010, Page 7)
- Zella Mae Jones — 77, died Thursday, May 13, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at East St. Peter MB Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to service at the church.Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
- James Alan Martin Pollock — 39, of Olive Branch, formerly of Oxford, died Monday, May 17, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Brantley Funeral Home in Olive Branch. Visitation will be held an hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- J.C. “Shorty” Smith — 93, died Sunday, May 16, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow at Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 until 7 this evening.
Local photographer Milly Moorhead West takes a look at what could be slipping away with the current disaster off the Louisiana and Mississippi coasts in a guest column, and wonders when we will all realize that we’re all guilty in some form or fashion and we all can also be a part of the solution. (May 18, 2010, Page 4)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes a look back at his days in education, nothing differences and similarities with community college students through the years. One thing he’s noticed – most students are still intent on earning their grades and disproving the claim that education is America’s Achilleges’ heel. (May 18, 2010, Page 4)
The Ole Miss men’s basketball team added another piece to its 2010-11 roster with the signing of 6-foot-9, 230-pound forward Steadman Short from Chipola College (Marianna, Fla.), head coach Andy Kennedy announced Monday.
The frontcourt addition is a rising junior with two years of eligibility left after he spent his sophomore season at Chipola and his freshman year at High Point University (High Point, N.C.). (May 18, 2010, Page 10)
A coroner says complications of sickle cell trait caused the death of Bennie F. Abram, a Ole Miss football player who collapsed during a Feb. 19 workout.
Officials released the autopsy results Monday for Abram, a 20-year-old junior from Southaven.
Lafayette County Coroner Rocky Kennedy said the official cause of death was the sickle cell trait associated with exertion.
Kennedy said a contributing factor was that Abram had an enlarged heart.
Kennedy said a person with sickle cell trait inherits one gene for sickle hemoglobin and one for normal hemoglobin. The condition can be asymptomatic. However, Kennedy said Abram knew he had sickle cell trait. (May 18, 2010, Page 10)
Thanks to a five-run fourth, Shiloh Creek Land & Timber was able hold on for a 6-3 win over the Carol Dorsey Studio Cardinals in Oxford Park Commission 9-10 year-old softball action Tuesday night. (more…) (May 18, 2010, Page 10)
- Sarah Herrien Kyser — 86, died Wednesday, May 12, 2010. A private memorial service will be held at a later date in Alabama. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.
- Alma Roger Smith — 92, died Wednesday, May 12, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at North Hopewell M.B. Church in Taylor. Burial will follow at the church cemetery. Visitation will be until 5 this afternoon and one hour prior to the service at the church Tuesday. Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge or arrangements.
- James Smith — 93, died Sunday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- Jonathan Lee Turner — 47, died Thursday, May 13, 2010. A graveside service was held Saturday in Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley was in charge of arrangements.