Local columnist T.J. Ray wonders about some of our laws and the enforcement of laws after hearing rumors of legalizing marijuana use in Mississippi and then seeing that many current marijuana offenders are getting off easy in court. (June 3, 2010, Page 4)
- George A. Brandt Jr. — 81, died Sunday, May 30, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the Waldheim Methodist Church in Waldheim, La. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the church. E.J. Fielding Funeral Home of Covington, La., is in charge of Louisiana arrangements and Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.
Local restaurant owner John M. Currence writes, in a guest column, that there are two distinct sides appearing unable to give much ground in the debate over allowing the sale of alcohol in Oxford on Sundays, and he suggests that the best way to reach a compromise might be for both sides to take a look at other communities that allow Sunday sales. (June 2, 2010, Page 4)
A celebration in memory of Robert Parker will feature music by the Fishers of Men gospel group, a cake walk and raffle, with lots of stuff to be given away. There will be food provided and T-shirts for sale. The event will be held at Friends Park in Tula. (June 1, 2010)
Old Union Baptist Church will host its Homecoming event Sunday, June 13. The service begins at 11 a.m., followed by a potluck lunch at noon. Singing will take place from 1-3 p.m. Everyone is invited. A love offering will be taken for the Old Union Cementary Fund. The church is located on County Road 444, about 4 miles from Tula. (June 1, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed gives readers the same list of items that appeared in church bulletins to help his college students see how important it is to use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling. (June 1, 2010, Page 4A)
- Jimmy L. Arrington — 68, died Friday, May 28, 2010. Services were held at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial followed in College Hill Presbyterian Church Cemetery.
- Harvey Orval Haggard — 82, died Thursday, May 27, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the First Presbyterian Church of Holly Springs. Inurnment will be in the columbarium at First Presbyterian Church. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Mary “Gertrude” Jackson James — 85, died Sunday, May 30, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at New Prospect Baptist Church. Visitation will be from 4 until 7 this evening at Waller Funeral Home and on Wednesday from noon until the service time at the church.
- David Wimberly — 41, died Saturday, May 29, 2010. Services were held Monday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford. Burial followed in the Abbeville Cemetery in Abbeville.
As you get older, your circle of friends becomes smaller for different reasons. Some reasons might include death, distance, or disappointment because maybe they weren’t worthy of being there in the first place. (June 1, 2010, Page 1B)
Nolan Parham turned in a solid performance on the mound and at the plate to lead the Hampton Inn Twins to a 10-5 victory over the Rozier Hayes Cardinals in the 13-14 year olds’ league to highlight a full slate of Oxford Park Commission youth baseball and softball action Thursday at FNC Park. (June 1, 2010, Page 3B)
The Mississippi Homemakers Volunteers of Lafayette County is hosting it’s Annual Public Officials Luncheon at noon Monday at Lafayette High School. All elected officials in Oxford and Lafayette County are invited to attend. For more Information, call the office at 234-4451. (June 1, 2010)