The Lafayette tennis team’s North Half playoff match against Greenwood has been moved to Thursday at 4 p.m. The match will take place at the Ole Miss tennis courts next to Oxford-University Stadium. (April 21, 2010, Page 9)
Columnist Jimmy Reed’s 50th reunion of his Leland High School graduating class brought back memories of the way people were raised and got along in the past, and made him mindful of the importance of the two guideposts he and his classmates were governed by. (April 20, 2010, Page 4)
• Ellen Wynonia “Granny” Odom – 79, died on Saturday, April 17, 2010, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. A chapel service is planned for 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at Lawrence Brown-Service Funeral Home in Selma, Ala., with Dr. Kenneth Hatcher officiating. Burial will follow at Pine View Memorial Gardens in Selma. Visitation will be held from 1 to 2:30 p.m. prior to the service.
• Sarah Payton – 76, died April 16, 2010, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Services are scheduled for 1 p.m., Wednesday at the Tallatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building with the Rev. Eddie Goliday officiating. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held at 6:30 this evening at Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
• Ben Barrett Smith – 67, died Sunday, April 18, 2010, at St. Francis Hospital in Memphis. Services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the First United Methodist Church in Batesville with burial at 3 p.m. at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the church. Dickins Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of the arrangements. (April 20, 2010, Page 2)
Lafayette’s boys and girls track teams won the Division 2-4A titles Monday at Byhalia.
The Commodores won the event with 131 points, 27 more points than second place Senatobia, who finished with 104 points. The Lady Commodores finished with 159.5 points. (April 20, 2010, Page 8)
• Mary Lou Dodson – 85, died on Friday, April 16, 2010, at Baptist Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services were held on Sunday at Holly Springs Funeral home with Dr. James Pinkerton officiating. Burial followed at Memory Hill in Ellendale, Tenn.
• Delmer Lamar (Did) Fortner – 74, died Thursday, April 15, 2010, at his residence in Oxford. Services were held at 2 p.m. on Sunday at Springhill Methodist Church. Burial followed at the Springhill Methodist Church Cemetary. Tutor Memorial Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
• Ruth Tolson Kelly – 85, retired elementary school teacher, died Thursday, April 15, 2010, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Funeral services were this morning at College Hill Presbyterian Church with the Rev. Alan Cochet officiating. Burial followed at College Hill Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
• Frances Irene Maples – 90, died Saturday, April 17, 2010, at the Yalobusha Nursing Home in Water Valley. Services are scheduled for 2 p.m. Tuesday at Coleman Funeral Home with Bro. Bill Russell officiating. Burial will follow at the Oxford Memorial Cemetary. Visition will be Tuesday from noon to 2 p.m. at Coleman Funeral Home.
• Sarah Payton – 76, died, April 16, 2010, at Graceland Care Center in Oxford. Funeral services are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home.
• John Michael Tiller – 57, of Water Valley died Wednesday, April 14, 2010, at his residence. A graveside service will be held at 5 p.m. today at Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley with Dr. Randy Bain presiding. Tiller’s Sunday school teacher, Tommy White, will share some closing remarks. (April 19, 2010, Page 2A)
– Kessinger Real Estate welcomes three new agents: Wanda Noah Holly, Will R. Knotts and Adam Quick
– Freddie Pinion of Oxford, an agent for Alfa Insurance, was named the Georgia-Mississippi Agent of the Year for 2009 at the company’s awards ceremony
– Oxford native Ann Coleman Thames has been selected as one of the “50 Leading Business Woman” for 2009 by the Mississippi Business Journal (April 19, 2010, Page 6A)
Oxford’s trip to Alcorn County over the weekend produced three one-sided tennis wins.
The Chargers improved their record to 16-0 overall as a team heading into the Class 5A playoffs this week by defeating Tishomingo County, Corinth and Alcorn Central. All of the matches were won by the scores of 7-0. (April 19, 2010, Page 3B)