Christ Presbyterian Church will host its monthly “More Than a Meal” program Tuesday. From 5 to 7 p.m., a free meal will be provided and tutoring will be available for students. The church is at 1720 University Ave. Those who need a ride can call 801-4712. The “More Than a Meal” program is offered the first Tuesday of every month. (April 28, 2010)
• Randall Lee Collins – 53, died Sunday, April 25, 2010, in Yalobusha County. Services are today at 2 p.m. at Batesville Church of Christ, with Michael Bates officiating. Burial will follow in Chapel Hill Cemetery in Pope.
• Burt Levy – 73, of Oxford died Thursday, April 22, 2010, in Nashville, Tenn. Williams Funeral Home & Crematory provided cremation services. The family will host a celebration of his life at a later date. (April 27, 2010, Page 2)
The North Mississippi Trail Riders Association will host a free trail ride at 9 a.m. Saturday. The trailhead is on Highway 30 East, 9.5 miles from Oxford on CR 2073. The Forest Service request riders wear orange vests during any hunting season and turkey season is open. Participants are asked to bring a sack lunch and drink. The slower ride is about 4 hours while the gaited horse ride is about 2.5 hours. For more information about the ride and the association, contact C. Wayne Perkins at (662) 801-2611 or firstname.lastname@example.org or John Robbins at 234-3325. (April 27, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes on those who favor gun control in his weekly column, citing changes in Australia and noting that the U.S. government has taken action to sell its spent shell casings to China rather than Georgia Arms. (April 27, 2010, Page 4)
The Lafayette County Republican Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Lafayette County Chancery Building. State Sen. Alan Nunnelee will be the guest speaker. The public is invited to attend and question Nunnelee, a candidate for congress. (April 27, 2010)
A yard sale begins at 6 a.m. Saturday at Jeffrie Chapel M.B. Church and a fish fry will follow, starting at 10 a.m. Fish plates will be $5 each and consist of fish, spaghetti and meatballs, slaw, baked beans and a canned drink. Jeffrie Chapel M.B. Church is located at 907 Hwy 7 N. For more information, call Tim Gordon at (662) 607-1888, Bernice Herod at (662) 801-0394, or Janice F. Carr at (662) 380-0662. All proceeds will go toward the old Abbeville School and the former Gordon Head Start Center Restoration Project. (April 26, 2010)
- Audrey J. Johnson — 77, died Friday, April 23, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel. Burial followed in Forrest Memorial Park.
- Frank Chester Kimbrell — 95, died Friday, April 23, 2010. Services will be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from 2 until 4 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Raymond “R.C.” Charles Townsend — 70, died Saturday at Water Valley Nursing Home. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
Oxford rolled through the first round of the Class 5A playoffs, their first in the new classification, with a 4-0 win over Neshoba Central on Friday. Three matches were in progress when things were called because of inclement weather. (April 26, 2010, Page 3B)
The last Oxford School District Band Boosters meeting of the school year will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Band Hall at Oxford High School. The executive board meets beforehand at 6. (April 26, 2010)
John and Shelia Mohr, visitors from St. Paul, Minn., write to tell of how much they enjoyed their stay in Oxford and to thank their special tour guide, Mayor Pat Patterson. (April 23, 2010, Page 4A)