A yard sale begins at 6 a.m. Saturday at Jeffrie Chapel M.B. Church and a fish fry will follow, starting at 10 a.m. Fish plates will be $5 each and consist of fish, spaghetti and meatballs, slaw, baked beans and a canned drink. Jeffrie Chapel M.B. Church is located at 907 Hwy 7 N. For more information, call Tim Gordon at (662) 607-1888, Bernice Herod at (662) 801-0394, or Janice F. Carr at (662) 380-0662. All proceeds will go toward the old Abbeville School and the former Gordon Head Start Center Restoration Project. (April 26, 2010)
- Audrey J. Johnson — 77, died Friday, April 23, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel. Burial followed in Forrest Memorial Park.
- Frank Chester Kimbrell — 95, died Friday, April 23, 2010. Services will be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from 2 until 4 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Raymond “R.C.” Charles Townsend — 70, died Saturday at Water Valley Nursing Home. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
Oxford rolled through the first round of the Class 5A playoffs, their first in the new classification, with a 4-0 win over Neshoba Central on Friday. Three matches were in progress when things were called because of inclement weather. (April 26, 2010, Page 3B)
The last Oxford School District Band Boosters meeting of the school year will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Band Hall at Oxford High School. The executive board meets beforehand at 6. (April 26, 2010)
John and Shelia Mohr, visitors from St. Paul, Minn., write to tell of how much they enjoyed their stay in Oxford and to thank their special tour guide, Mayor Pat Patterson. (April 23, 2010, Page 4A)
- Annie Carolyn Reed McGuire — 90, died Thursday, April 22, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Glenwood Cemetery in Tupelo. Visitation will precede the service from 10 until 11 a.m. at the funeral home.
- Marvin “Bubba” Miller Jr. — 70, died Wednesday, April 21, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Toccopola Church of the Living God on Stockard Road in Toccopola. Burial will follow in Springhill Cemetery in Toccopola. Visitation will be from 1 to 7 p.m., with family hour from 6-7, Saturday at the Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Maurice Rutz Van Norman — 57, died Tuesday, April 20, 2010. Services will be held Monday at Glenwood Funeral Home in Vicksburg. Burial will follow at the Vicksburg City Cemetery. Visitation begins at noon Monday at the funeral home.
Guest columnist John Morgan started remembering nights at the grandparents when he took his youngsters to his mother’s house recently. What happened when John was young? Big Star’s “Saturday Night at the Races,” “Lawrence Welk,” catching fireflies and chasing the “fog machine.” (April 23, 2010, Page 4A)
Oxford’s baseball season may not have gone as hoped, but the Chargers made the most of their divisional finale, routing West Point 14-2 in five innings on Thursday. (April 23, 2010, Page 6A)
- Marvin “Bubba” Miller Jr. — 70, died Wednesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Maurice Rutz Van Norman — 57, died Tuesday at his home in Kenner, La. Arrangements are incomplete with Glenwood Funeral Home in Vicksburg,
Meets at noon Wednesday at Bofield’s Restaurant on West Jackson Avenue. Bob Collier with the North East Mississippi Electric Power Association will update the company’s activities. For more information, call John Arrechea at 234-9299. (April 22, 2010)