- L. D. Jones — 89, of Water Valley died Wednesday, June 23, 2010. Service will be held at 2 this afternoon at the Campground Baptist Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service at the church. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
- Margo L. McEwen — 67, died Tuesday, June 8, 2010. Services were held June 19 at the James H. Cole Home for Funerals in Detroit. Burial followed in the Detroit Memorial Park-West cemetery in Redford, Mich.
- John Daniel Woods — 29, died Wednesday, June 23, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel in Batesville, with burial to follow in Forrest Memorial Park. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 this evening.
- Eva Maria Halley — 30, died Saturday, May 22, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Leonard E. Thompson — 74, died Tuesday, June 22, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the T.O.M.B. Association Building. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at East Providence M.B. Church. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Raynard Turner — 43, died Saturday, June 19, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Bayson M.B. Church in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Friday at Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford and from 5 to 7 p.m. at the church in Water Valley.
Mary Sexton and members of the Oxford-Lafayette Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors wrote to thank all of those who made donations and volunteered to help with projects, including one that comes to fruition Sunday when the home for Lakesha Wortham and her children is dedicated. (June 24, 2010, Page 4A)
- Tracy Wallace Lusk — 83, died Tuesday, June 22, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday at Foundation Christian Fellowship Church. Visitation will be prior to the service from noon until 1:30 p.m. at Waller Funeral Home. A graveside service will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Beauregard Cemetery in Wesson.
Philip Loria writes to take issue with the feeling that the local drug court is costing citizens; he points out the benefits of the court and urges its support. (June 23, 2010, Page 4A)
- Robert “Bobby” M. Alexander — 80, died Tuesday, June 22, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. Joe Lovelady officiating. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be Wednesday from 4 until 6 p.m. at the funeral home and again one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Mackey Webb Sallis — died on Wednesday, June 16, 2010, in Mobile, Ala. Services will be held at 3:30 p.m. Sunday at Cambridge United Methodist Church outside Oxford. Burial will follow in the church cemetery.
Two outstanding offensive displays produced two wins for the Dolphins in the Oxford Park Commission 9-10 year-old softball league Saturday at FNC Park.
The Dolphins defeated the Carol Dorsey Cardinals 19-3 and 10-6 in two makeup games. (June 22, 2010, Page 7)
Oxford Park Commission youth baseball action produced two winners in the 9-year-old league Monday at FNC Park. The Bert’s Plumbing Reds defeated the Rainbow Cleaners Yankees 16-9, while the Larson’s Big Star Red Sox doubled up the Ligon Oral Surgery Diamondbacks 8-4. (June 22, 2010, Page 7)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed gives his opinion on the current administration and results of the national elections in 2008, and says that the November 2010 elections offer voters a chance to clean up the mess. (June 22, 2010, Page 4)
Barry Grantham writes to clarify his stance on the issue of the city’s landscaping ordinance and how it affects the Oxford East Shopping Center he owns. (June 22, 2010, Page 4)