- Richard “Rick” Edward Page Sr. — 75, died Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2010. A Celebration of Life service will be held Sunday at the Page residence at 256 Huckleberry Lane in the Boatlanding community. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley assisted with the arrangements.
- Bettie Lue Peel — 57, died Sunday, Sept. 19, 2010. Services will be held at noon Saturday at Harrisonville MB Church in Oxford, with the Rev. F.C. Kelson officiating. Burial will follow in Harrisonville Cemetery. Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc is in charge of the arrangements.
Some athletes have passed through the halls of Ole Miss whose names will never be forgotten. Some of those unforgettable faces were the best of the best here at Ole Miss, and each year they are honored for their dedication to their sport and their school by being inducted into the M-Club Hall of Fame.
This season, Deuce McAllister, Ansu Sesay, David Dellucci, Yolanda Moore and Jerry Montgomery are the five memorable individuals selected to be inducted into the M-Club Hall of Fame. Bobby Bailess is this year’s recipient of the M-Club Service Award. (September 24, 2010, Page 1B)
Election campaigning once meant small political cards, bumper stickers and possibly a fan to wave. Nowadays, it’s signs on posts and in yards and on street corners. Local columnist John Morgan relates a humorous story about his campaign signs from a year ago and how some were being used by someone else. (September 24, 2010, Page 4A)
- Robert “Sandy” Forrest — 58, died Friday, Sept. 17, 2010. Services were held Monday in the chapel of Plunk Funeral Home of Camden, Tenn., with Wayne Purcell officiating. Burial followed at Wyly Cemetery in Waverly.
- Mark Davidson Willey II — 42, of Oxford died Monday, Sept. 20, 2010. Services will be held at 5 this evening at First Faith Baptist Church in Batesville. Visitation will be one hour prior to the services at the church. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
Do church folks find themselves looking out instead of in? Has religion been transformed from something it once was? Local columnist T.J. Ray takes on the subject by suggesting that churches and their members concentrate less on buildings and such and more on doing good works and helping others. (September 23, 2010, Page 4)
Milly Moorhead West writes to support Rep. Travis Childers and to urge people to not believe everything they hear or see in political ads. (September 23, 2010, Page 4)
Daniel Doyle and Doug Davis of Yokna(patawpha) Bottoms Farm, CSA take on summer cooking by writing about growing all sorts of peppers and also give a recipe for Baked Jalapeno Poppers on today’s Eating Well page. (September 22, 2010, Page 8)
- Mary Clifton Rhodes Swayze — 81, died Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2010. A graveside service and burial will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday at the Stonewall Cemetery in Ethel. The family will receive friends and family at 9:30 a.m. Friday in the Oxford-University United Methodist Church parlor and a memorial service will follow at 11. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Lafayette’s eighth-grade football team remained undefeated on the season thanks to a 26-8 win over Grenada at William L. Buford Stadium Tuesday night. (September 22, 2010, Page 7)
There was plenty of excitement Tuesday night for Oxford’s seventh- and eighth-grade football teams as the two teams tied South Panola in action at Bobby Holcomb Field.
The seventh-grade Chargers tied 20-20, while the eighth-graders tied 14-14 in the nightcap. (September 22, 2010, Page 7)