The Lafayette County Master Gardeners will hold its May educational meeting on May 3 beginning at 9 a.m. at the Lafayette County Extension Service auditorium at 101 Veterans Drive. Barry Whitehouse, master gardener and experienced vegetable grower, will speak on growing heirloom vegetables. The meeting is open to the public and all interested gardeners. (April 28, 2010)
Meets at noon Thursday at Ole Miss Catering, located at Heritage Drive. The club will acknowledge 2008 Harris Bryan and 2009 Dwawne Booker State Troopers of the Year recipients. Members and guests are invited. For more information, e-mail info@exchangeclubofoxford or visit www.exchangeclubofoxford.org. (April 28, 2010)
The Oxford High School Theater Department will stage “Almost, Maine” Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m. in the Kayla Mize Auditorium. The play will be presented by the OHS seniors for the annual Kayla Sue Mize Endowment. The annual silent auction for the Kayla Sue Mize Endowment will be held during the Sunday performance beginning at 1 p.m. (April 28, 2010)
Christ Presbyterian Church will host its monthly “More Than a Meal” program Tuesday. From 5 to 7 p.m., a free meal will be provided and tutoring will be available for students. The church is at 1720 University Ave. Those who need a ride can call 801-4712. The “More Than a Meal” program is offered the first Tuesday of every month. (April 28, 2010)
• Randall Lee Collins – 53, died Sunday, April 25, 2010, in Yalobusha County. Services are today at 2 p.m. at Batesville Church of Christ, with Michael Bates officiating. Burial will follow in Chapel Hill Cemetery in Pope.
• Burt Levy – 73, of Oxford died Thursday, April 22, 2010, in Nashville, Tenn. Williams Funeral Home & Crematory provided cremation services. The family will host a celebration of his life at a later date. (April 27, 2010, Page 2)
The North Mississippi Trail Riders Association will host a free trail ride at 9 a.m. Saturday. The trailhead is on Highway 30 East, 9.5 miles from Oxford on CR 2073. The Forest Service request riders wear orange vests during any hunting season and turkey season is open. Participants are asked to bring a sack lunch and drink. The slower ride is about 4 hours while the gaited horse ride is about 2.5 hours. For more information about the ride and the association, contact C. Wayne Perkins at (662) 801-2611 or firstname.lastname@example.org or John Robbins at 234-3325. (April 27, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed takes on those who favor gun control in his weekly column, citing changes in Australia and noting that the U.S. government has taken action to sell its spent shell casings to China rather than Georgia Arms. (April 27, 2010, Page 4)
The Lafayette County Republican Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Lafayette County Chancery Building. State Sen. Alan Nunnelee will be the guest speaker. The public is invited to attend and question Nunnelee, a candidate for congress. (April 27, 2010)
A yard sale begins at 6 a.m. Saturday at Jeffrie Chapel M.B. Church and a fish fry will follow, starting at 10 a.m. Fish plates will be $5 each and consist of fish, spaghetti and meatballs, slaw, baked beans and a canned drink. Jeffrie Chapel M.B. Church is located at 907 Hwy 7 N. For more information, call Tim Gordon at (662) 607-1888, Bernice Herod at (662) 801-0394, or Janice F. Carr at (662) 380-0662. All proceeds will go toward the old Abbeville School and the former Gordon Head Start Center Restoration Project. (April 26, 2010)
- Audrey J. Johnson — 77, died Friday, April 23, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel. Burial followed in Forrest Memorial Park.
- Frank Chester Kimbrell — 95, died Friday, April 23, 2010. Services will be held at 4 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will precede the service from 2 until 4 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Raymond “R.C.” Charles Townsend — 70, died Saturday at Water Valley Nursing Home. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.