The last Oxford School District Band Boosters meeting of the school year will be held at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Band Hall at Oxford High School. The executive board meets beforehand at 6. (April 26, 2010)
John and Shelia Mohr, visitors from St. Paul, Minn., write to tell of how much they enjoyed their stay in Oxford and to thank their special tour guide, Mayor Pat Patterson. (April 23, 2010, Page 4A)
- Annie Carolyn Reed McGuire — 90, died Thursday, April 22, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Glenwood Cemetery in Tupelo. Visitation will precede the service from 10 until 11 a.m. at the funeral home.
- Marvin “Bubba” Miller Jr. — 70, died Wednesday, April 21, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at Toccopola Church of the Living God on Stockard Road in Toccopola. Burial will follow in Springhill Cemetery in Toccopola. Visitation will be from 1 to 7 p.m., with family hour from 6-7, Saturday at the Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Maurice Rutz Van Norman — 57, died Tuesday, April 20, 2010. Services will be held Monday at Glenwood Funeral Home in Vicksburg. Burial will follow at the Vicksburg City Cemetery. Visitation begins at noon Monday at the funeral home.
Guest columnist John Morgan started remembering nights at the grandparents when he took his youngsters to his mother’s house recently. What happened when John was young? Big Star’s “Saturday Night at the Races,” “Lawrence Welk,” catching fireflies and chasing the “fog machine.” (April 23, 2010, Page 4A)
Oxford’s baseball season may not have gone as hoped, but the Chargers made the most of their divisional finale, routing West Point 14-2 in five innings on Thursday. (April 23, 2010, Page 6A)
- Marvin “Bubba” Miller Jr. — 70, died Wednesday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Maurice Rutz Van Norman — 57, died Tuesday at his home in Kenner, La. Arrangements are incomplete with Glenwood Funeral Home in Vicksburg,
Meets at noon Wednesday at Bofield’s Restaurant on West Jackson Avenue. Bob Collier with the North East Mississippi Electric Power Association will update the company’s activities. For more information, call John Arrechea at 234-9299. (April 22, 2010)
The Oxford Middle School choirs, Sixth-Grade Singers, Cantabilé and Mixed Chorus, will present “A Spring Night of Choral Singing” at 7 p.m. May 4 at the First Baptist Church. Damein Wash is the director and Joseph Garrison is the accompanist.
The program will featuring choral works by George Frideric Handel, Johannes Brahms and Benjamin Britten; and show tunes by George Gershwin, Rogers and Hammerstein, and Harold Arlen. Guest instrumentalists and accompanists include Carol Trott’s World Drumming Ensemble, Dr. Andy Paney, pianist, Jack B.Wilson Jr., cellist, and Liz Taylor, violinist. (April 22, 2010)
Gracie Mae McIntosh Morrow — 47, of Abbeville, died Friday, April 16, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday at Jeffries Chapel Church in Abbeville. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 1 to 5 this evening at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel and one hour prior to the service at the church.
Tony Allen Smith — 52, died Saturday, April 17, 2010. Graveside services were held this morning at Springhill Cemetery in Lafayette County. Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of the arrangements. (April 21, 2010, Page 2)
Meets for breakfast at 7:30 – 8:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Ole Miss Catering banquet suite located at 123 Heritage Drive. Featured speaker this week is Lucy Schultze, senior staff writer at The Oxford EAGLE. Schultze will demonstrate the newspaper’s recently updated online features. Guests are invited to attend. To RSVP for this event, e-mail email@example.com or call Scott Thompson at 816-9898. For more information, visit www.oxford-olemissrotary.com. (April 21, 2010)