- Anna Ruth Simmons — 74, died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories at Coleman Funeral Home. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Jesse Lewis “Dickey” Spears — 76, died Saturday, May 8, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery in Coffeeville. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
The Oxford Rays won the 2010 Gumtree 14-and-Under AA Classic held at Ballard Park in Tupelo recently. The Rays are a 13-and-Under USSSA team composed of players from the Oxford area.
Oxford rebounded from a 7-2 loss to the Tupelo Rangers in the opener and a 10-0 loss to the Tri County Outlaws to then win three games in a row. Oxford defeated the North Mississippi Angels 9-5, the Outlaws 8-1 and the Rangers 2-1 in the title game in eight innings. (May 11, 2010, Page 10)
- Frank Ashley Jr. — 80, died Thursday, May 6, 2010,. Services were held Saturday at Meredith-Nowell Funeral Home in Clarksdale, with burial in the Oakridge Cemetery.
- Norma T. Clayton — 69, died Friday, May 7, 2010. Services will be at 2 this afternoon in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held prior to the service from 12:30 until 2.
- Robert Sidney Cooper — 83, died Friday, May 7, 2010. A graveside service was held Sunday at Eastern Cemetery in Forest. Waller Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Herschel Marion Cranford Jr. — 62, died Thursday in Batesville. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- Calvin Eugene Fox — 55, died Thursday, May 6, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Second M.B. Church. Burial will follow in Harrisonville Church Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Theodore “Theo” Hilliard — 105, died Sunday at his residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Dorothy McGee — 70, died Sunday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Blondie Euclid Ray White Jr. — 56, died Friday, May 7, 2010. Services are scheduled for 4 this afternoon at the Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors. A private burial will be in the New Fellowship Cemetery near Ripley. Visitation is 1 to 4 p.m. today at the funeral home.
Meets at 5 this evening in the Oxford City Hall Courtroom. (May 10, 2010)
Guided walking tours of Oxford’s North Lamar Historic District will begin at 10:30 a.m. Saturday. Tours depart from the Skipwith Cottage next to City Hall. Guides will point out architectural features, introduce some prominent people from Oxford’s past, and explain why two houses have been declared National Historic Landmarks.
Sponsored by the Oxford Convention & Visitors Bureau, guided walking tours are offered as part of its heritage tourism program. Travelers are given a personal, up-close introduction to Oxford, and residents can learn a little more about local history. It is a pleasant way to get some exercise while taking a closer look at one of Oxford’s most attractive assets.
Tours are approximately one hour and 15 minutes long and will be offered the third Saturday of every month from April to July. For more information, visit www.oxfordcvb.com or contact Mary Allyn Roulhac at 232-2477. (May 10, 2010)
The members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Lady’s Auxiliary will hold their monthly meeting Tuesday at the Veterans Building at 125 Veterans Drive. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m. The meeting follows at 7. (May 10, 2010)
The DAV, American Legion and the VFW will host a breakfast and some fellowship for all veterans at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Veteran’s Building at 125 Veterans Drive. Breakfast features eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits and coffee. The Veteran’s Building is located at the corner of Veterans Drive and South Lamar Boulevard. Donations are accepted. (May 10, 2010)
The members of the Sit and Sewers group of the Piecemakers will have a charity work meeting at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the First Presbyterian Church. Members are reminded to bring cutters, cutting mats and rulers, plus any fabric they wish to donate. Participants will be cutting 3 1/2- and 5 1/2-inch squares for future quilt kits. (May 10, 2010)
The Rotary Club of Oxford will meet at noon Tuesdayat the Oxford University Club. Thomas J. Rosser, head of the Immigration Group at Mayo Mallette PLLC, will speak on “Current issues in immigration policy, and what’s on the horizon.” Members may bring guests. (May 10, 2010)
The American Red Cross will offer an Adult, Child and Infant CPR/AED/First Aid community class on May 22 from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. The cost of the class is $50. All classes are held at the Red Cross Office, 106 Skyline Drive. Interested participants should contact the Red Cross office at 236-1282 to register. Pre-registration is required for the class. (May 10, 2010)