- William E. “Bill” Cloud — 58, of Oxford died on Wednesday, April 28, 2010. A memorial service and celebration of his life will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Champion Forest Baptist Church in the Family Life Center in Houston, Texas. Klein Funeral Home in Spring, Texas, is in charge of arrangements.
- Herschel Marion Cranford Jr. — 62, died Thursday, May 6, 2010. A memorial service to celebrate his life will be held at 2 p.m. Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Ronald Eugene Hays — 84, died Tuesday, May 11, 2010. A memorial service will be held at a later date. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Alma Rogers Smith — 92, of Oxford died this morning. Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
Philip Loria writes to remind those that think everyone is responsible for themselves that we are now in an age of entitlement. (May 12, 2010, Page 4)
A day after capturing the overall team state title in Class 5A, the Oxford Chargers won six individual state championships to wrap up an extremely successful trip to the Ridgeland Tennis Center. (May 12, 2010, Page 8)
William L. Buford Stadium will be the site of 2010 Lafayette Spring Jamboree Thursday night. The spring football event features the Commodores, Senatobia, Southaven, Kosciusko, New Albany and Aberdeen. Action will begin at 5 p.m., with Lafayette scheduled to match up with Southaven and then New Albany at 7. Each team will have 16 minutes of varsity offense and 16 minutes of varsity defense against each opponent. Each team will have 10 minutes of JV offense and 10 minutes of JV defense with each opponent. The ball in Thursday’s scrimmages will be placed at the 40-yard line going toward the goal line and then replaced on the 40 every time a team scores or fails to get a first down. The clock will not be stopped during the scrimmage, extra points may be kicked, and there will be no 2-point conversions and no timeouts. (May 12, 2010, Page 9)
The members of the Kountry Krafters Homemakers Club will meet at noon Monday at the Lafayette County Extension Office on Highway 7 South. Members are reminded to bring the front of cards and drink tabs as well as their recipes. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Gerda at 234-9983. (May 12, 2010)
Azalea Gardens is hosting Dream On! at 11 a.m. Friday to celebrate National Sleep Awareness Month. Guest Speaker Jason Phillips from the Sleep Disorders Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi will talk about common sleep disorders and give tips on how to get a better night’s sleep. (May 12, 2010)
- Anna Ruth Simmons — 74, died Sunday, May 9, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories at Coleman Funeral Home. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
- Jesse Lewis “Dickey” Spears — 76, died Saturday, May 8, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church Cemetery in Coffeeville. Seven Oaks Funeral Home of Water Valley is in charge of arrangements.
The Oxford Rays won the 2010 Gumtree 14-and-Under AA Classic held at Ballard Park in Tupelo recently. The Rays are a 13-and-Under USSSA team composed of players from the Oxford area.
Oxford rebounded from a 7-2 loss to the Tupelo Rangers in the opener and a 10-0 loss to the Tri County Outlaws to then win three games in a row. Oxford defeated the North Mississippi Angels 9-5, the Outlaws 8-1 and the Rangers 2-1 in the title game in eight innings. (May 11, 2010, Page 10)
- Frank Ashley Jr. — 80, died Thursday, May 6, 2010,. Services were held Saturday at Meredith-Nowell Funeral Home in Clarksdale, with burial in the Oakridge Cemetery.
- Norma T. Clayton — 69, died Friday, May 7, 2010. Services will be at 2 this afternoon in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be held prior to the service from 12:30 until 2.
- Robert Sidney Cooper — 83, died Friday, May 7, 2010. A graveside service was held Sunday at Eastern Cemetery in Forest. Waller Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Herschel Marion Cranford Jr. — 62, died Thursday in Batesville. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- Calvin Eugene Fox — 55, died Thursday, May 6, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Second M.B. Church. Burial will follow in Harrisonville Church Cemetery. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Theodore “Theo” Hilliard — 105, died Sunday at his residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford.
- Dorothy McGee — 70, died Sunday at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Blondie Euclid Ray White Jr. — 56, died Friday, May 7, 2010. Services are scheduled for 4 this afternoon at the Tupelo Chapel of Holland Funeral Directors. A private burial will be in the New Fellowship Cemetery near Ripley. Visitation is 1 to 4 p.m. today at the funeral home.