The executive committee of the Lafayette County Republican Party will meet at the Lafayette County Courthouse on the Square at 5:30 p.m. Monday in the main courtroom on the second floor. There will be a discussion of the June 1 primary. All interested citizens are encouraged to attend. (May 21, 2010)
- Robbie M. Dunn — 54, died Wednesday, May 19, 2010. Services will be held at noon Saturday at the Tallahatchie-Oxford Missionary Baptist Association Building. Burial will follow in the Great St. John M.B. Church cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at the Greater St. John M.B. Church. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Joseph Brandon Rider — 33, died Tuesday, May 18, 2010. A memorial service will be held Saturday at 2 p.m. at his home in Potts Camp. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Sam Morgan of the Morgan White Insurance Rays struck out 11 of the 12 batters he faced to highlight action in the Oxford Park Commission’s 10-year-old league Tuesday at FNC Park. The Rays defeated the Hampton Inn Hotel Cardinals 6-1 thanks to Morgan’s pitching effort. In the other 10-year-old league game, the First National Bank Braves beat the Freeland Shull Attorneys at Law Red Sox 7-4. (more…) (May 20, 2010, Page 6)
The Oxford Strikers, a Under-10 Boys Division ITT Challenge soccer team, finished second in this past weekend’s President Cup Tournament held in Tupelo.
The Strikers, who are made up of players that play in the Oxford Park Commission, used their weekly two weeks of practice to their advantage to capture second place in the U-10 Boys Classic Division, a first for a team from Oxford. (May 20, 2010, Page 7)
The Lafayette Commodores will be hosting a camp for area youth June 1-4 at W.V. Brewer Field. The camp will run daily from 8 a.m. to noon and is available for children in grades 1-8. Lafayette will also be hosting a benefit golf tournament June 11 at The Country Club of Oxford. Cost to enter the tournament is $80 per person or $320 for a team. The tournament will start at 8:30 a.m.
For more information on either the camp or the tournament, contact LHS baseball coach Greg Lewis at 232-2757. (May 20, 2010, Page 7)
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel explains some of the process of gathering information from patients during office visits and other meetings between doctors and patients to show how important that part of the visit is in helping come up with the proper treatment. (May 20, 2010, Page 12)
Local columnist T.J. Ray had a clerk examine a $20 bill he was using recently, and that made him wonder about efforts to thwart counterfeiters. Ray takes a closer look at money matters. (May 20, 2010, Page 4)
- Inez Buford Morgan — 73, died Sunday, May 16, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday in Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be held Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Carlye Alexis Pritchard — infant daughter of Chris Pritchard and Haley Wood of Oxford, died Tuesday, May 18, 2010. Graveside services will be held at 1 this afternoon at McIvor Baptist Church Cemetery, with the Rev. Gary Stevens officiating. Burial will follow at the cemetery. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville is in charge of arrangements.
- Harold Grey Williams Jr. — 46, of Water Valley died Monday, May 17, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oak Hill Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be from 5 until 7 this evening at the funeral home.
Darlene Easson writes to tell a story about campaign signs that she’s witnessed in the community, while Joan Lunsford wrote to encourage parents and students to talk about how to handle the dangers of drinking and driving during prom and graduation season. (May 19, 2010, Page 4)
The Oxford Rebels, the traveling 9-year-old baseball team, recently won the Mississippi Select Baseball Tournament in Tupelo.