The Lafayette High School Jazz Band and Percussion Ensemble will be in concert Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Lafayette Middle School auditorium. Music will include contemporary percussion pieces, traditional and modern jazz. All proceeds will go to help the school’s three Lions Band students pay for their trip to Australia. Admission is $5. Tickets may be purchased at the door, from members of the Oxford Lions Club or Lafayette High School band members. (April 6, 2010)
The Ole Miss Ballroom Dance Club will host “Dance! with The Guys in the Band” from 7 to 10 p.m. April 23 in the Johnson Commons Ballroom, located on the Ole Miss campus. Attendees will enjoy dancing to live music and refreshments. Casual, open dancing will take place. Everyone is welcome. Those who can’t dance are invited to come and enjoy themselves while they are learning to dance. Admission is $8 for members or $12 for non-members. Student admission is $5 for members and $9 for non-members. Yearly membership dues are $25 and student yearly membership dues are $15. Those interested can join at the door. For more information, Fred or Kathy at 234-8530 or visit the Web site at www.ombdc.com. (April 5, 2010)
The Lafayette County Republican Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Lafayette County Chancery Building Courtroom No. 1. Guest speaker will be 1st congressional candidate Angela McGlowan. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Mack Bowles, president, at 816-2400 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. (April 5, 2010)
A benefit program for Dorothy Baker Stafford will be held at 3:30 p.m. Sunday at The House Of Prayer Church of God In Christ, 811 Mill St., in Water Valley. Proceeds will help her recover from the injuries she suffered in a car wreck on Highway 7 South in September. All are invited to come and help us celebrate God’s Goodness in her life. For more Information, contact Evelyn Willingham at (662) 380-3736 or (662) 232-2358 or e-mail at email@example.com. (April 5, 2010)
- Patricia Edwards Aschoff — 71, died Thursday, April 1, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Paris-Yates Chapel. Visitation will be from 4 until 6 this evening at Waller Funeral Home.
- Clifton L. “Mook” Hilliard — 66, died Saturday. Arrangements are incomplete with Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Helen Ward Kellum — 73, died Friday, April 2, 2010. Services were held Sunday at Anchor Baptist Church. Burial followed at Anchor Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Frances Jean Onkst Milam — 80, died Sunday, April 4, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Wells Funeral Home Chapel in Batesville. Burial will follow in Forrest Memorial Park. Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
- Oria Iona Carter Mounts — 84, died Saturday, April 3, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery. Visitation will be one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- James A. White Sr. — 72, of Grenada died Friday, April 2, 2010. Services were held this morning at Crowder Baptist Church in Crowder. Burial followed in Crowder Cemetery. Wells Funeral Home of Batesville was in charge of arrangements.
Doug Fancher writes a response to a recent letter by Harley Garrett discussing the Health Care bill and other issues. (April 5, 2010, Page 4A)
The Emmaus and Cursillo Community will gather at 6:30 p.m. Monday at the Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Everyone who has attended the Emmaus Walk or Cursillo Weekend is invited. Attendees are encouraged to bring a covered dish to share with all and enjoy the spiritual fun and fellowship. (April 5, 2010)
Oxford’s amazing winning streak in tennis reached 95 matches Thursday with an 7-0 win over Tupelo on the road. (April 5, 2010, Page 8A)
The Oxford Garden Club presents A Standard Flower Show “There’s an App for That” at the Powerhouse Community Arts Center from 2 to 5 p.m. April 15. Admission is free. (April 5, 2010)