- Paul Easton Bruening — 48, died Monday, May 24, 2010. A memorial services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Oxford. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of arrangements.
- Ada Celeste Colley — 89, died Wednesday, June 2, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in Oak Hill Cemetery. A visitation will be held at Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley one hour prior to the service.
- James C. “J.C.” Dickey — 86, died Wednesday, June 2, 2010. Services were held this morning at Wells Funeral Home Batesville,. Burial followed in Magnolia Cemetery in Batesville.
- Beatrice Baker Faust — 97, of Florence, Ala., died Tuesday, June 1, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 2:30 this afternoon at North Oxford Baptist Church Cemetery in Oxford. Visitation was held earlier today at Morrison Funeral Home in Tuscumbia, Ala.
- Robin Dean Williams — 48, died Monday, May 31, 2010. Services will be held at 2 this afternoon at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home’s Oxford Chapel, with Gary Frye officiating. Burial will follow in Paris Cemetery. Visitation will be held today until the service at the funeral home.
Lafayette Middle School and the LMS PTO wrote to thank all who took part in their “Pump Up the Presence” program this year. (June 4, 2010, Page 4A)
- Robin D. Williams — 48, died Wednesday in Memphis. Visitation will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Oxford. Other arrangements are incomplete with the funeral home.
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel writes about an issue that affects many in Lafayette County – metabolic syndrome. He discusses the problem of abdominal obesity, its characteristics, its potential dangers and treatment. (June 3, 2010, Page 12)
Local columnist T.J. Ray wonders about some of our laws and the enforcement of laws after hearing rumors of legalizing marijuana use in Mississippi and then seeing that many current marijuana offenders are getting off easy in court. (June 3, 2010, Page 4)
- George A. Brandt Jr. — 81, died Sunday, May 30, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the Waldheim Methodist Church in Waldheim, La. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the church. E.J. Fielding Funeral Home of Covington, La., is in charge of Louisiana arrangements and Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of local arrangements.
Local restaurant owner John M. Currence writes, in a guest column, that there are two distinct sides appearing unable to give much ground in the debate over allowing the sale of alcohol in Oxford on Sundays, and he suggests that the best way to reach a compromise might be for both sides to take a look at other communities that allow Sunday sales. (June 2, 2010, Page 4)
A celebration in memory of Robert Parker will feature music by the Fishers of Men gospel group, a cake walk and raffle, with lots of stuff to be given away. There will be food provided and T-shirts for sale. The event will be held at Friends Park in Tula. (June 1, 2010)
Old Union Baptist Church will host its Homecoming event Sunday, June 13. The service begins at 11 a.m., followed by a potluck lunch at noon. Singing will take place from 1-3 p.m. Everyone is invited. A love offering will be taken for the Old Union Cementary Fund. The church is located on County Road 444, about 4 miles from Tula. (June 1, 2010)
Local columnist Jimmy Reed gives readers the same list of items that appeared in church bulletins to help his college students see how important it is to use proper grammar, punctuation and spelling. (June 1, 2010, Page 4A)