Will meet Thursday at Ole Miss Catering on Jackson Avenue. The board meets at 5:30 p.m. and the general meeting follows at 6. (August 2, 2010)
Meets at noon Tuesday at Fat Cat’s Catfish & Steaks on Old College Hill Road. Naya Reitoku, director of Reitoku Kai, a traditional Japanese dance and culture school in Singapore, will speak about the bands performing at the Yocona International Folk Festival this week. For more information or to apply for membership, call Ron Kitchens at 915-5038, e-mail email@example.com, or visit http://lionwap.org/oxfordms. (August 2, 2010)
- Jimmy Howard Weeks — 77, died Friday, July 30, 2010, in Calhoun City. Services will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home Chapel in Pontotoc. Burial will follow in Loyd. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Clarence “Clay” Thomas Robertson III — 22, of Germantown, Tenn., died Friday, July 30, 2010, in Oxford. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Germantown. Burial will follow at Memorial Park Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church in Germantown, with the Rosary to follow at 7 p.m.
- Mattie Dawkins Shaw — 102, of Coffeeville, died Thursday, July 29, 2010, at the Yalobusha General Nursing Home in Water Valley. Services were held Saturday at the First Baptist Church in Coffeeville. Burial followed in the Pilgrim’s Rest Cemetery. Garner-Harper Funeral Home of Coffeeville was in charge of the arrangements.
(August 1, 2010)
Oxford EAGLE writer recounts the legend and possible treasure of Chickasaw Chief Toby Tubby. (July 30, 2010, Page 3B)
In this week’s Oxford Generations column, Marie Barnard, writes about the aggravation of joining a social networking. (July 30, 2010, Page 1B)
- Milford Lee Hill — 82, died Thursday, July 29, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday at the North Ridge Woodhaven Cemetery in Millington, Tenn. Burial will follow in the cemetery. Tutor Memorial Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Robert Lee Smith — 85, died Thursday, July 29, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Henry Chapel of Seven Oaks Funeral Home in Water Valley. Burial will follow in the Mt. Liberty Cemetery in Calhoun County. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.
Assistant News Editor Anne Pringle planned, like many, to retire in Oxford. Sometimes, however, things change and that’s what happened to her, bringing her to Oxford a bit sooner than expected. Pringle writes about the adjustments she and her daughter are making as they get accustomed to living in the community. (July 30, 2010, Page 4A)
Local columnist T.J. Ray remembers hard times growing up, and looks at how times and people have changed as things got better. Now, he write, we’ve become a people who seem to have a hard time conserving anything. (July 30, 2010, Page 4A)
A spaghetti supper benefit for Joyce Pope will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the Abbeville United Methodist Church, 25 Business Hwy. 7, in Abbeville. Pope recently underwent multiple bypass heart surgery. Meal includes spaghetti, slaw, bread and dessert for $8 for adults and $5 for children. Eat in or carry out. (July 30, 2010)
Will meet at noon Tuesday at the Oxford University Club. Members will discuss how individual experiences can be mutually leveraged to benefit the Oxford Community through service venues. Members may bring guests. (July 30, 2010)