The VFW will host karaoke singing and dancing every Friday night at the Veterans Building across from the State Veterans Home. Doors open at 6 and singing and dancing starts at 7. Use one of their disks or bring your own. Food and drinks available. Admission is $5. The public is invited. (August 13, 2010)
Learn simple traditional dances from around the world at 7:30 this evening at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation Hall. Attendees, from middle schools and older, are invited to join in the fun, fellowship, exercise and get introduction to the music and movement of diverse cultures. Elaine Gelbard will teach the dances. No experience necessary. There is no charge for the event, but donations will be gratefully accepted for the UUCO Building Fund. The UU Hall is at 31 CR 198. A map with directions is available at www.uuoxford.com. For more information, call Gelbard at 236-2545. (August 13, 2010)
Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi will host a Wild West Wellness Fair and Bike Rodeo from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Aug. 21 at the First Baptist Church Christian Life Center. (August 13, 2010)
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church continues celebrating the 150th year of the historic church structure with Rally Day this Sunday. Regular service hours return. From 10 to 10:55 a.m. prior to the 11 morning service, worshipers and newcomers are encouraged to gather for fellowship, to learn about ministry planned for the coming year and the upcoming Fun in the Country Labor Day fair. Parents will have the opportunity to register children in classes and also receive information about options for adult formation. For more information, call the church office at 234-1269. (August 13, 2010)
Oxford EAGLE’s Guest Writer Anne Steel recently visited with Jilleen Moore, a favorite among young readers at Square Books Jr., where she has nutured readers for seven years. (August 12, 2010, Page 3A)
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel tackles diets and some of the studies and what they show about the best way to diet. Mansel breaks down the diet into detail with different kinds of foods, and looks at the recommendations. (August 12, 2010, Page 14A)
- Fletcher Brassell Jr. — 71, died Sunday, Aug. 8, 2010. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at Harrisonville M.B. Church, with burial to follow in the church cemetery. Hodges Freeman Funeral Home in Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- William Alan East — 41, died Sunday, Aug. 8, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at the First Baptist Church in Amory. Burial will follow on the family farm located at 1646 Highway 334 in Oxford. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 this evening at the home of Van and Dot East in Amory. E.E. Pickle Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Bobby Ross Gates — 69, died Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Blue Mountain Church of The Lord Jesus Christ. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 5 until 9 this evening at Ripley Funeral Home.
- Leonard Carl Turner Jr. — 63, died Wednesday, Aug. 11, 2010. A memorial service will be held at a later date in Illinois. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
The members of the Kountry Krafters Homemakers Club will meet at 10 a.m. Monday at the Lafayette County Extension Service Office on Highway 7 South. Member will work on their Christmas items for two hours. The club meeting will start at noon. Attendees are reminded to bring their finished items and a covered dish. Guests are welcome. For more information, call Gerda at 234-9983. (August 12, 2010)
- Meade G. Burrows — 56, died Wednesday, July 21, 2010, in Northhampton, Mass. A celebration of his life will be held Aug. 17 at 5:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Church in Northampton.
- Gavin Marcus Daniels — the infant son of Marcus and LaKesha Flemons-Daniels of Red Banks, died Monday, Aug. 9, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-DeSoto in Southaven. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Providence U.M.Church Cemetery in Abbeville. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Wendell Earl “Bud” Hall — 74, of Collierville, died Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2010. Private services will be held in the West Tennessee Veterans Cemetery. Visitation will be from noon until 2 p.m. Thursday at the Collierville Funeral Home.
- Hattie Mae Key — 93, died Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Friday at the Philadelphia M.B. Church. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be from 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the church. Hodges-Freeman Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements.
Tom Hoar writes to respond to a recent letter by Jason Plunk about Sunday alcohol sales in Oxford, noting that arguing “economic development” as the major factor can work both ways. (August 11, 2010, Page 4)