- Robert L. Barlow — 76, died Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Forrest Memorial Park in Batesville.
- Carole Lindsey Baughman — 68, died Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2010. Arrangements for a private family service are incomplete at this time. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of local arrangements.
- Lanny Eugene Phillips — 58, died Wednesday at his home in Lafayette County. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
Think twice when ordering a grilled chicken Caesar salad. These salads may sound healthy, but in fact they are high in calories and fat. In this weeks Eating Well column a new flavorful, grilled recipe is offered up to try instead of the usual high calorie stand-by. (August 18, 2010, Page 6)
- Ruby O’Dell — 77, died Tuesday, Aug. 17, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at New Prospect Baptist Church. Burial will follow in Kingdom Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday at Waller Funeral Home.
Ole Miss basketball coach Andy Kennedy settled a defamation lawsuit Tuesday with a cab driver and a valet stemming from a dispute over a ride in the downtown district of Cincinnati in December, 2008.
Details of the settlement are confidential as attorneys told Judge Melba Marsh in Hamilton County Common Pleas Court that they had reached an agreement. According to a source, Kennedy did not pay cab driver Mohamed Jiddou, or valet Michael Strother a monetary settlement as some papers reported today. (August 18, 2010, Page 8)
The Kennon Observatory at Ole Miss will have an open house from 8 to 10 p.m. Friday. The Moon is strong and looks great in a telescope. Saturn, Venus and (tiny) Mars are all observable after sunset, but they all go down very early. The best time to view them is in the beginning of the session.
Uranus is up all night, Neptune is next to Jupiter. Jupiter comes up at 9, and is best visible an hour later. Afterwards will be observing star clusters, and colorful double stars. As the dome of Kennon Observatory is being repaired, the large telescope inside can’t be used. However, some good quality scopes will be set up in the parking lot. Observations are possible only if the weather cooperates. In case the weather is cloudy, or rainy, there can be no observation. Families and children are welcome, the event is free. (August 18, 2010)
Girls Scouts Heart of the South will have an informational meeting and registration event from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Those interested in joining Girl Scouts as a troop member or adult leader are encouraged to attend. For more information, call Dianna Wilson at 662-816-5190. (August 18, 2010)
- Thomas Edwin “Coach” Harrison Sr. — 71, died Sunday, Aug. 15, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the First United Methodist Church in Millington, Tenn. Burial will follow at Northridge Woodhaven Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8 this evening at the church. Munford Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
Randy Yates writes about his time in Oxford and his impressions of the local bar and restaurant scene, asking why Sunday should be treated any differently than the other six days of the week, while the L-O-U Homeless Task Force writes to thank the City of Oxford for supporting the Interfaith Compassion Ministry. (August 17, 2010, Page 4)
A dual-artists reception will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Powerhouse Community Arts Center. The reception will honor local artist Liz Rathbone’s “Heart & Soul” show and the Powerhouse’s current exhibit highlighting Andi Bedsworth, Nole Harris, and Gene Gathright’s interpretation of Oxford architecture. This is a one night only showing for Rathbone’s “Heart & Soul.” (August 16, 2010)
The Council on Aging is an informal group that meets monthly to provide a network of communication exchange for those who work with and on behalf of our older citizens. The group will meet at 9 a.m. Thursday at Azalea Gardens Senior Care Community for coffee and an information exchange. All service agency providers and interested volunteers throughout the area are encouraged to attend this networking meeting. For more information, contact Jo Ann O’Quin with the University of Mississippi Department of Social Work at firstname.lastname@example.org or the United Way at 236-4265. (August 16, 2010)