Holiday events set for Saturday include:
— The Stars & Stripes 5K Run benefiting the Lafayette County Humane Society begins at 8 a.m., while registration begins at 6:45 a.m. in front of Oxford City Hall. The Family Fun Run will be held immediately following the 5K Run.
— Line up for the LOU 4th of July Parade begins at 9 a.m. behind Oxford City Hall and gets underway at 10.
— Anniversary of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church Presentation and Readings at 11 a.m. at Oxford City Hall. Re-enactment to feature historical figures who will help to replicate the 1877 St. Peter’s presentation which was done at the same location in Oxford.
— Street Dance, featuring live entertainment by Soule, will be held from 7 to 9 p.m. in the parking lot in front of Nielsons. Refreshments available. (July 2, 2010)
Meets at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the administration office. (July 2, 2010)
Going to the doctor can be a scary experience but not for patients at the Oxford Pediatric Group Clinics. Nurse Delois Holmes has been practicing for fourteen years. She has become a clinic favorite caring for a generation of area toddlers and teens.
- Dorothy Murphrey Jones — 86, died Wednesday, June 30, 2010. A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Peter’s Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Alan B. Locke — 79, died Wednesday at his home near Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford.
- Dr. Charles Denton O’Dell — 73, died Tuesday, June 29, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at the Lavonia Presbyterian Church in Lavonia. A reception will follow at the Lavonia United Methodist Church fellowship hall across the street. A celebration of his life is planned for 2 p.m. July 10 at Camp Hopewell near Oxford, with a reception to follow. A memorial service is also planned for 4 p.m. July 14 at the Estatoah Wayfarers Chapel in Dillard, Ga. Strickland Funeral Home, Lavonia Chapel, is in charge of arrangements.
- Dorothy Louise Russell — 74, died Wednesday, June 30, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will be Thursday from 5 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
- Samuel Eugene “Sam” Turner — Sr., 64, died Wednesday, June 30, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home, with the Rev. Ken White officiating. Burial will follow in Kingdom Cemetery. Visitation will be Friday from 5 until 7 p.m. at the funeral home.
In the lone Oxford Park Commission baseball game on Monday, the 11-12 year-old Hunters’ Hollow, Inc. Brewers scored three runs in the top of the fourth to defeat the Oxford Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Rays 7-5. (July 1, 2010, Page 7A)
Ole Miss journalism professor and guest columnist Samir Husni takes readers on his journey from childhood to now and from his homeland in Lebanon to taking the oath as a citizen of the United States as he and his family celebrate another special 4th of July. (July 1, 2010, Page 4A)
Guest columnist and O-U United Methodist Church pastor Warren Black got a special welcome back to the United States when he saw signs of how wonderful our country is when going through customs during a summer sabbatical. (July 1, 2010, Page 4A)
- James Willingham — 88, died Monday, June 28, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Pleasant Green M.B. Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in the church cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Eddie Robinson Funeral Directors of Grenada is in charge of arrangements.
- Emma Gene Wright — 65, died Saturday, June 19, 2010. Services were held this past Friday at St. John’s United Baptist Church in Milwaukee. Burial followed in Graceland Cemetery in Milwaukee. Serenity Funeral Home in Milwaukee was in charge of arrangements.
Jeff Justis writes to say that all Americans are still Americans regardless of their viewpoint, and points out that rhetoric in commentary and conversation can incite passions that put our country at risk. (June 30, 2010, Page 4)
- Elizabeth Wayne “Bettie” Wilson Ash — 69, died Sunday, June 27, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Bethlehem Church of the Lord Jesus Christ in Potts Camp. Burial will follow in the Bethlehem Cemetery. Visitation will be held from 5 to 8:30 this evening at the Bethlehem Church of the Lord Jesus Christ. Coleman Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- John Hugh Bailey — 81, died Friday, June 25, 2010. A memorial service will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Collierville First Assembly of God Church in Collierville, Tenn. Waller Funeral Home of Oxford is in charge of arrangements.
- Hazel Hewlett — 83, died Monday, June 28, 2010. Services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home of Oxford. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery. Visitation will from 5:30 until 7 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home.
- Loreen S. Tidwell — 41, died Monday, June 28, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday in the chapel of Waller Funeral Home of Oxford. Burial will follow in Pine Flat Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 to 7 this evening at the funeral home.