The DAV, American Legion and the VFW will host a breakfast and some fellowship for all veterans at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Veteran’s Building at 125 Veterans Drive. Breakfast features eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits and coffee. The Veteran’s Building is located at the corner of Veterans Drive and South Lamar Boulevard. Donations are accepted. (June 8, 2010)
Youth Fishing Rodeo
The 2010 Sardis Lake Youth Fishing Rodeo will be held June 26 at the Sardis Lower Lake-Cypress Point Area. Registration will begin at 7 a.m. and the rodeo will start at 7:30. Age classes are 1-5 years old, 6-10 years old and 11-15 years old. Trophies will be awarded for each age class and for the largest fish. For more information, contact Ranger Shea Staten at the Sardis Lake Field Office at 662-563-4531. (June 8, 2010)
The Lafayette County Law Enforcement Officers’ Association will host its 10th annual Youth Fishing rodeo on June 19 at Puskus Lake. Kids, ages 1 to 15, are invited to have a fund-filled day of fishing. Participants will need to bring their own fishing pole. Bait will be provided.
Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. and fishing will be from 8 to 10. Trophies will be award to first- through fifth-place winners in each of the three age groups. Every child fishing will receive a prize. Hot dogs and drinks will be provided. Other sponsors include the U.S. Forestry Commission and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife & Fisheries. (June 8, 2010)
Post 55, American Legion, will hold it’s annual installation of officers along with the regular meeting Thursday evening at the Veteran’s Building, 125 Veterans Drive. Supper and fellowship begin at 6 followed by the business meeting at 7. All veterans are invited to attend. (June 8, 2010)
- James Price Cook Sr. — 70, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. Services will be held at 1 this afternoon at the First Baptist Church in Batesville. Burial will follow at Magnolia Cemetery. Dickens Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Lillian “Lyn” Margaret Housley — 77, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at St. James Episcopal Church in Hendersonville. Thos. Shepherd & Son Funeral Directors is in charge of arrangements.
- David Russell Lucker — 62, died Thursday, June 3, 2010. There are no plans for a memorial service at this time. Coleman Funeral Home was in charge of local arrangements.
- Thomas Allen “Tommy” Mills — 65, died Saturday, June 5, 2010. Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday in the Henry Chapel at Seven Oaks Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Clear Creek Cemetery in Lafayette County. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening in the Appleton Room at the funeral home.
- Patricia “Patty” Delores Schreiber — 75, died Friday, June 4, 2010. A memorial service to celebrate her life will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. Burial will follow in Eastover Memorial Cemetery at a later time. Visitation will be held 30 minutes prior to the service at the church. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
- Sarah Rebecca “Becky” Delp VanArsdall — 85, died Friday, June 4, 2010. A memorial service will be held at 2 this afternoon at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Visitation will be in Wesley Hall from 12:30 until service time. A private family interment will follow Tuesday at Henry Cemetery in Corinth. Waller Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements.
Mt. Zion Church, one of the oldest churches in Lafayette County, will host a free bluegrass gospel get-together Saturday. The Hatchie Bottom Boys, a bluegrass band, will play from 2:30 p.m. until supper, when a potluck supper/picnic will be served. The community is invited to enjoy the afternoon of music and fellowship. The church is located just off Highway 30 to the south, a half mile past The Store. Turn right on CR 221 through McRae Estates and follow the signs. (June 7, 2010)
North Mississippi Hospice will host a grief support group meeting at noon Thursday at Azalea Gardens. A light lunch will be provided and the meeting is open to anyone who has experienced loss. For more information, call 234-0140. (June 7, 2010)
Guest Veterans’ State Home Director, Amanda May, and Department of Mississippi Jr. Vice Commander Gail Wilson will attend The Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 801 meeting at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Veterans Building in Oxford to address veterans needs in June. The meeting for Purple Heart members will start with lunch, followed by business meeting. All members and combat-wounded veterans are urged to attend. Supporting staff assisting with this meeting are Clarence Parker, Frank Warren, Donald McCord, Joe Browning and Audley Brummett. (June 7, 2010)
Designing and creating hand-tied jigs can an enjoyable hobby, especially during the long winter months. On Saturday, Gwin Jackson will present a program at the North Mississippi Fish Hatchery demonstrating the different stages of tying hand-made jigs from hook to final product. The program begins at 1:30 p.m. Jackson is the owner of Jiggy With It in Pope.
The NMFH is located off I-55 at Enid Exit 233 east and the program is free with the price of admission. For more information, call (662) 563-8068 or visit the NMFH website at http://home.mdwfp.com/NMFH/. (June 7, 2010)
The American Red Cross will offer an Adult, Child and Infant CPR/AED/First Aid community class from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. June 26. The cost of the class is $50. All classes are held at the Red Cross Office at 106 Skyline Drive. Interested participants should contact the Red Cross office at 236-1282 to register. Pre-registration is required for the class. (June 7, 2010)