The members of the Oxford Cycling Club invite everyone interested to join them for a casual, conversational ride around Oxford at 6 p.m. Sunday. The ride begins at the Oxford Depot and will last for up to an hour. Bicyclists will travel on the new bike paths and quiet streets on campus and in town. Riders of all skill levels are welcome. For more information, visit http://LOUpathways.org/. (April 30, 2010)
- Jonathan Scott Franklin — 36, died Monday, April 26, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories at the funeral home. Visitation will be from 4 to 8 this evening at the funeral home.
- Thomas Burfoot Phillips IV — 22, of Georgetown, Washington, D.C., died Saturday, April 24, 2010. Services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday at Everly Wheatley Funeral Home in Alexandria. Friends are welcome to visit with the family beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday. Burial will follow at Ivy Hill Cemetery in Alexandria. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the funeral home.
- Raymond Charles “R.C.” Townsend — 70, died Saturday, April 24, 2010. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Friday at East Providence M.B. Church in Oxford. Burial will follow at Browing Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be from 5 to 7 this evening at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel in Oxford.
- Connell “C.M.” White — 85, died Wednesday . Arrangements are incomplete with Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford.
Local physician Dr. Keith Mansel talks about blood pressure issues in this week’s health column. He explains the issues involved with high blood pressure, causes, effects and potential problems. (April 29, 2010, Page 12)
Joe Zorbino writes to express disappointment with The EAGLE’s coverage of the Double Decker Arts Festival, citing the lack of negatives connected with the postponement of most of the event to Sunday because of weather issues. (April 29, 2010, Page 4)
Local food columnist Luisa Arico, who writes about Italian cooking, gives the background of one favorite sauces and the recipe for the tasty treat. (April 28, 2010, Page 11)
Peter Kondos writes about his attempt to get some answers from Tom Brokaw about media bias, while W.N. Beckwith has a new idea for fundraising that involves towing companies. (April 28, 2010, Page 4)
- Jonathan Scott Franklin — 36, died Monday near Oxford. Visitation will be held Thursday from 4 to 8 p.m. at Coleman Funeral Home. Funeral services will be held Friday at 11 a.m. in the Coleman Funeral Home Chapel, with Bro Randy Hope and Fish Robinson officiating. Burial will follow in the Garden of Memories at Coleman Funeral Home.
- Leowen “Leo” Sneed Husbands — infant son of Nicholas “Nick” and Sommer Husbands of Oxford, died Sunday, April 25, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. A private graveside service will be held at a later date. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
The 2010 Ole Miss basketball signing class increased by two on Tuesday with the addition of forward Isaiah Massey and guard Donald Williams. (April 28, 2010, Page 7)
The Yocona Club of the Mississippi Homemaker Volunteers will meet at 12:30 p.m. Monday at the Yocona Community Center. A potluck lunch will be served and all visitors are welcome. (April 28, 2010)
The Lafayette County Master Gardeners will hold its May educational meeting on May 3 beginning at 9 a.m. at the Lafayette County Extension Service auditorium at 101 Veterans Drive. Barry Whitehouse, master gardener and experienced vegetable grower, will speak on growing heirloom vegetables. The meeting is open to the public and all interested gardeners. (April 28, 2010)