- Pricilla Romanda Gladney — 38, died Sunday, Aug. 29, 2010. Services will be held at noon Friday at the Serenity-Martin Funeral Home Chapel. A private burial service will follow in the Cypress Grove M.B. Church Cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Alan Campbell Kesler — 63, of Dallas, Texas, died Wednesday, Aug. 4, 2010. Services were held Aug. 10 at Chism-Smith Funeral Home Chapel. Burial followed at DFW National Cemetery.
- Herman Eugene McCluskey — 81, died Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in the Chapel of Waller Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Oak Grove Cemetery in Water Valley. Visitation will be Friday from 9:30 until 11 a.m. at the funeral home.
The Crosstown Classic: What a great week for the players, fans and coaches of both schools. It’s a time for everyone who has ever attended Lafayette or Oxford to reflect on their memories of this most important game of the year.
I can certainly remember my senior year of football at Lafayette in 1977 and all the emotions that the week entailed leading up to the game. I remember a very descriptive letter supposedly from the Oxford players strategically placed on the wall in the field house that detailed how they were going to have a lot more fun on Friday night than we were. I must say that even at 17, I was less intimidated than amused. I can remember smiling, wondering which coach was responsible for engineering such a motivating tactic. (September 2, 2010, Page 6)
David King writes to urge people to give democracy and Democrats a chance, saying that it’s going to take time to get the change people voted for two years ago. (September 2, 2010, Page 4)
- Pam Clearman — 45, died Monday, Aug. 30, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Cambridge United Methodist Church. Burial will follow in Cambridge Cemetery. Visitation will be from 4 until 8 this evening at Waller Funeral Home of Oxford.
- George Webber Lewis — 87, died Friday, Aug. 13, 2010, at his home in Yuba City, Calif. At his request, no formal services were held.
- Gerald “Jerry” Wayne Webb Jr. — 50, died Monday, Aug. 30, 2010, at Baptist Memorial Hospital–North Mississippi in Oxford. Services will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at New Hope Baptist Church in Harmontown. Burial will follow in New Hope Cemetery. Visitation will be held for two hours prior to the service at the church. Ray-Nowell Funeral Home of Senatobia is in charge of arrangements.
The Chargers won the seventh-grade game 26-6, while the Commodores took the eighth-grade game in the nightcap 16-0. (September 1, 2010, Page 7)
Tickets for Friday’s annual Crosstown Classic between Lafayette and Oxford are currently on sale at both high schools and University Sporting Goods located on the Oxford Square.
Cost of the tickets are $5. There were 2,000 tickets available for this year’s game that will be played at Oxford’s Bobby Holcomb Field. Oxford Athletics Director Johnny Hill said that all unsold tickets will be available to spectators at the gate. Kickoff at Bobby Holcomb Field is set for 7:30 p.m. between the 2-0 Chargers and 2-0 Commodores. (September 1, 2010, Page 7)
Today, new cookbooks are being published that read like history books. The cookbooks offer up great tasting recipes and a way to experience different American cultures. (September 1, 2010, Page 8)
The Ole Miss Ballroom Dance Club will host a “Back to School Dance” from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Johnson Commons Ballroom on the Ole Miss campus. Everyone is welcome. A group E.C. Swing lesson will be taught by The Dance Studio of Tupelo. Open dancing will also be featured. Those who don’t already know how to dance are invited to come and have fun while they learn. Dress is casual. Admission is $8 for members and $12 for non-members. Student admission is $5 for members and $9 for non-members. Yearly membership dues are $25 and student yearly membership dues are $15. For more information, call Fred or Kathy at 234-8530, or visit www.ombdc.com. (September 1, 2010)
The second annual Studio Crawl, sponsored by the Water Valley Arts Council, and an art opening, will be start at Bozarts Art Gallery, 403 Main Street in Water Valley, at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 10. An opening reception for “Southern Comforts,” an exhibit of the work of five artists, will be held at the gallery from 5:30 to 9 p.m. (September 1, 2010)
The Alzheimer’s and Related Disorders Caregiver Support Group will meet at 7 p.m. Monday at the Azalea Gardens Senior Care Community, 100 Azalea Drive. Since the group is meeting on Labor Day, the theme of the discussion will be: “While Caregiving is a Labor of Love, it is still Labor.” The meeting is open to all caregivers interested in those with Alzheimer’s and related memory loss disorders. Those interested in the group are encouraged to request to be on its e-mail list. Refreshments will be provided compliments of Azalea Gardens. For more information, contact Jo Ann O’Quin, UM Department of Social Work, at 915-7199 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (September 1, 2010)