FISHIN’ WITH CHICK — Ive had several interesting comments and suggestions about my fishing report. My favorite of those came from a friend of mine, Phil Ferguson, the former head football coach at Bruce and Tupelo. He suggested that we rename the article “Following Phil’s Boat,” and I admit there is a lot of truth in that. (March 17, 2010, Page 8A)
Meets at noon at Ole Miss Catering, located at 123 Heritage Drive. Featured speakers are Hollis Green and Mary-Kathryn Millner, co-directors of Oxford Conference Center. Members and guest are invited. For more information, e-mail info@exchangeclubofoxford or visit www.exchangeclubofoxford.org. (March 17, 2010)
EAGLE columnist Jimmy Reed uses British literature and Christopher Marlowe’s character Faustus to take a look at how pride can affect so much even in today’s world – and particularly in politics and government. (March 16, 2010, Page 4A)
The Ole Miss women’s basketball team accepted a bid to play in the WNIT and will travel to Birmingham, Ala., to take on Samford Thursday. (March 16, 2010, Page 7A)
The Lafayette County Extension Service will conduct private applicator training for certification or re-certification at 10 a.m. March 30. Training will be held in the Lafayette County Extension Auditorium at 101 Veterans Drive. There is a $10 charge for each person who wishes to be certified. This must be paid the day of the class. Bring a check or money order only, made out to MSU-CMREC. For more information, call Jon Ruscoe at 234-4451. (March 16, 2010)
On Saturday and Sunday, the eighth annual River City Jack Russell Terrier Trial will take place at John W. Kyle State Park in Sardis. RCJRT is an affiliate club for the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America who in turn is an affiliate for the Jack Russell Terrier Club of Great Britain.
The JRTCA is a working breed club. The highest honors are given to dogs that maintain the working ability for which the Jack Russell was originally bred. Concessions will be available both days. For more information including a trial flyer & entry forms please go to www.rivercityjrtclub.com/. (March 15, 2010)
Holli’s Sweet Tooth will host Spring Splurge from 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Fun activities include face painting, balloon animals, crafts and more. For more information, call 236-7505. (March 15, 2010)
The Water Valley First Baptist Church will host a health fair from 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday in the fellowship hall. Free blood pressure and blood glucose screenings will be provided as well as geriatric depression screenings. H1N1 flu shots will also be available at no charge. For more information, call Laura DeAnna Woods, LSW, at 662-227-7111. (March 15, 2010)
- William Van Brewer — 93, died today at his residence in Oxford. Arrangements are incomplete with Waller Funeral Home.
- William Montgomery Champion — 78, died Friday, March 12, 2010. Services were held this morning at Oxford-University United Methodist Church. Burial followed in Oxford Memorial Cemetery. Waller Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.
- Kenneth Galmore — 39, died Tuesday, March 9, 2010. Services were held Saturday at the New Hope M.B. Church in Batesville. Burial followed at New Hope Cemetery. Serenity-Martin Funeral Home of Oxford was in charge of arrangements.
- Leonard “Doc” William Jenkins — 99, died Sunday, March 14, 2010. Services will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the Waller Funeral Home Chapel. A Private graveside will follow in Pine Crest Memorial Gardens. Visitation will be Wednesday one hour prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Mildred McGhee Quarles — 79, died Saturday at her residence. Arrangements are incomplete with Kenneth I. Roberson Funeral Home of Pontotoc.
- Patti Joy Sullivan Scott — 63, died Saturday, March 13, 2010. Services will be held at noon Tuesday at Waller Funeral Home Chapel. Burial will follow at Memorial Park Cemetery in Memphis. Visitation will be held two hours prior to the service at the funeral home.
- Alta Mae East Welch — 90, died Saturday, March 13, 2010. Services will be held Thursday at 11 a.m. at Shiloh Baptist Church in Oxford. Burial will follow in the Shiloh Cemetery, CR 429, Oxford. Visitation will be held Wednesday from 4 to 7 p.m. at Coleman Funeral Home and one hour prior to the service at the church on Thursday.
An 11-run seventh inning broke open a close game and ultimately lifted the Lafayette Lady Commodores to a 15-2 win over North Pontotoc in girls softball action Friday. LHS had 10 hits as a team, with Stormy Robinson, Corey Hollis and Kendall Glass each having multiple hits. (more…) (March 15, 2010)